See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can not select viewports

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Can not select viewports

Can anyone help please me with this problem:

My viewports drawn in DEFpoints layer cannot be selected!

I have unlocked all layers.
    When I draw a new viewport in a new layer I can select it.
    If I move it to Defpoints I can still manipulate it until I deselect it.
    If I create a new viewport in defpoints I cannot select it.

I have many viewports and sheets in the file and I now cannot maipulate or remove viewports

Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Can not select viewports

Is your 0 (zero) layer off?

All AUGI, all the time Richard.Kent's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Thaw layer zero.

Login to Give a bone

Rule #2:

Never Ever use DEFPOINTS for anything you create. It's a 'magic' layer name hardwired into the AutoCAD software, and does not behave as a normal layer.

Acad has had the ability to set any layer to non-plot for quite a while now, so do yourself a favor and create s specific nonplot layer for viewports

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    Rule #2:

Never Ever use DEFPOINTS for anything you create. It's a 'magic' layer name hardwired into the AutoCAD software, and does not behave as a normal layer.

Acad has had the ability to set any layer to non-plot for quite a while now, so do yourself a favor and create s specific nonplot layer for viewports
    Second that. One of the major "faults" with defpoints is these unselectable entities (not just viewports). I've even had situations where entities became unselectable even though they were never on Defpoints (even some in Model Space). And thaw/on/unlocking 0 & Defpoints didn't solve the problem. For some reason it seems that those entities become permanently unselectable.

My only solution was to create copies of those by selecting using select all (Ctrl+A), deselecting the still-selectable entities by holding down Shift and crossing over everything. Then Copy @0,0 and Erase previous.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    Rule #2:

Agreed! It was understandable to use defpoints for viewports in release 14 and under because "No Plot" layers didn't become available until ACAD 2000.

A National Cad Standard (NCS) allowable layer name for a viewport would be "G-ANNO-NPLT".

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

I've been using defpoints for VP's for many years now and I have never had a problem with not being able to select a VP or any object because it was on defpoints...

I have had a problem selecting an objects before for a few reasons.

It seems that AutoCAD needs to be kicked on a rare occasion by Refreshing. Sometimes you need to give it a harder kick by go to another tab and then back. Basically it seems to me too be a hardware glitch.

The other reason that I have not been able to select an object is because it is on a layer nested in a block or other object. In this path other layers in that block are turned off or frozen one way or another. (Ex. layer block resides on is off but a nested layer is on. sometimes it will show the nested layer that is on [wither hardware glitch similar to the one above or some type of software bug]) (Another example and more common is that the layer the block is on is on and a few nested layers in the block are turned off)

Just keep a few saying in mind when using AutoCAD.

Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago.
    -Bernard Berenson.

and most importantly

Part of the inhumanity of the computer is that, once it is competently programmed and working smoothly, it is completely honest.
    -Isaac Asimov

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Actually those have been with us for some time. The problem with Defpoints malbehaving stems from LayFrz / LayOff when you pick lines inside blocks ... depending on your settings it freezes / turns off the layer the line was drawn on (inside the block) which is usually Layer 0. When 0 is turned off / frozen, you can't select anything drawn on Defpoints. http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...linkID=9240657

But further, in my experience ... even if you turn 0 back on ... even if you thaw, on & unlock ALL layers ... you end up with some entities being un-selectable. A refresh doesn't help, changing between tabs doesn't help, regen doesn't help, close & open doesn't help, shutdown & restart doesn't help. This I first experienced about 3 years ago using Vanilla 2006, it got worse in 2007, but seems to have been fixed since 2008 ... well the last time I found this was mid last year - I think there was a 2008 SP after that which might have fixed it.

Further to this, since 2002 Audit will move all entities on Defpoints to a $AUDIT-BAD-LAYER: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...linkID=9240615 and
    http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...linkID=9240615

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by USMCBody View Post

and most importantly

Part of the inhumanity of the computer is that, once it is competently programmed and working smoothly, it is completely honest.
    -Isaac Asimov
    like competent programming has ever happened.......

but in that vein, defpoints is a layer name encoded in the software for dimension objects. it has no other purpose, and although exposed (by developer laziness/complacency) was never intended for end user use. That's the honesty of the computer at work. Do not expect defpoints to behave as a normal layer, and do not be surprised if at some point in the future the behavior previously expected with defpoints changes to meet a developer's whim.

There are better, more predictable ways to generate non-plotting viewports.

Certifiable AUGI Addict ccowgill's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Old thread, but putting anything on the defpoints layer is plain bad advice, even if it was there before, you should begin getting away from using that layer. Everyone needs to start at somepoint.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast