Thread: Angular Dimension in IDW

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Question Angular Dimension in IDW

I'm actually using 2010 but since the other forum says up to 2009 and this one says 2011 I figured maybe this one would be the better one to leave my post/question in.

I am trying to get an angular dimension on a circular extrusion, basically its a heat sink and I want to get the angle of the fins so I can reproduce the array in Revit. Every time I select the Dimension "command" the symbol that shows up when I hover over the geometry is the Radius symbol and when I right click it doesn't give me the option to select the type of dimension that I desire.

The designers where I work are using Inventor 2008 and they do the same exact thing that I am trying to accomplish successfully and painlessly. Can anyone offer a suggestion as to why I don't get the same result that they do.

Thanks in advance for your help.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Angular Dimension in IDW

I don't understand the question - post an example.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Also did you know that if you have an Inventor model you can take it right in using AEC Exchange to Revit as an rfa? This might be a little off topic, but you mentioned you need it in Revit. If you just need the geometry for a single item this is the best way. If you need to make a rfa family out if with parametrics, currently you do have to redraw it. But that will soon be available too.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I have attached a .pdf to show what I am looking to achieve.

Thanks for your help with this.
    Attached Files Attached Files

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I am aware that AEC Exchange is available but my opinion is that it is not at a point where it is able to generate a quality Revit Family. Not only can you NOT attach parameters to the geometry........you also CAN NOT start a family with a Revit Template which allows different hosting options i.e. Face Hosted, Ceiling Hosted. What I've also come across is that it generates a parameter that creates an error when attempting to change parameters in a Light Fixture Family that I created and used AEC Exchange in Inventor to place the electrical connector. Believe me I've been trying to come up with a good "workflow" for this process and have not yet been very successful. My current workflow is to export the Inventor file out as an .SAT file, import that file into Revit and use the geometry to create a Parametric Revit Model. Any suggestions as to how I can go about this differently?

Mflayer- You say "But that will soon be available too". Do you have some information that I don't know about and if you do, could you enlighten me? When is this supposed to happen and where did you hear it from?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

That should be an easy dimension to get. Take heed about the little green dots when you are trying to pick your selections. Make sure you get the line and NOT the points for the dimension.

Regarding AEC Exchange (from my talks with ADSK) they are are working on making functionality that will help you with the work you are doing.

Also I just noticed that your staff is using 2008 Inventor. The AEC exchange system in 2008 did not do a good job mapping over to Revit. In 2010 the cooperation got a whole lot better and you can even change the UCS right inside of Inventor so it doesn't have to be changed in Revit or before the authoring process.

Oddly enough the Conduit connector didn't even work with Revit MEP until 2011. Go figure.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Can you attach the ipt and idw here? I don't see any reason that dimension should be a problem.
    Are those actually very large radius arcs (appear as almost lines because of large radius)?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I am not able/allowed to post the.idw or .ipt file as much as I'd like to.

The lines that are arrayed in the circular pattern are indeed large radius'. Does that make a difference?

I have been making sure not to select the small green dots during the attempts and still haven't been successful. This is a VERY strange problem due to the fact that the people using 2008 get the dimension VERY simply and when I follow the exact same steps that they do using 2010 I am not able to reproduce the same result.