Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revit Systems

Login to Give a bone

Default Revit Systems

I know that theoretically putting things into systems can result in potential gains in performance. It can also help with organisation.

Is it perfectly valid to leave systems without a piece of associated equipment? Does this have any effect?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit Systems

This is one of those things which you will get conflicting answers on depending on who you ask.

Personally, I have not observed any noticeable performance gains from the use of systems. Given the amount of time and effort it takes to create these systems, I would recommend not setting them up solely for a potential increase in speed.

There are other benefits of using systems however, so don't shun them altogether until you have figure out what you want out of Revit and more specifically how to achieve those goals.
    Matthew Danowski, PE, LEED AP BD+C
    Project Electrical Engineer
    Baltimore, MD

All AUGI, all the time JoelLondenberg's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mjdanowski View Post
    ...Personally, I have not observed any noticeable performance gains from the use of systems. Given the amount of time and effort it takes to create these systems, I would recommend not setting them up solely for a potential increase in speed...
    Neither have I.

However, I think tagging and view filters end up working best with systems well defined.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Have any of you seen the error message that appears when the unassigned list hits 250 elements?

Login to Give a bone

The way I understand that error message:
    That is the point where Revit stops trying to automatically calculate flows/ pressure drops/ etc. The default "system" is too large to efficiently calculate all that.
    I look forward to seeing that message because logically thinking, if Revit isn't trying to calculate all that for me, my model "should" run a bit quicker....?

Login to Give a bone

"should" may not equal will.

I have files with only some plumbing pipes and a dozen or so toilets hooked up lagging a lot more than files with loads of duct work and loads of radiators and chilled beams hooked up.

Login to Give a bone

The whole "system" thing is still a mystery to me and I'm not sure how creating them is supposed to keep the model stable. Filtering elements "By System" is a fantastic idea on paper, but in my experience, it is rare that all pipes and ducts are connected to something during SD and DD phases of a project. I can't count the number of times my users have modeled large diameter pipe and duct segments just to "claim space" during early coordination...and because these segments aren't connected to anything, they have to filtered out differently.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by gabecottam View Post
    The way I understand that error message:
    That is the point where Revit stops trying to automatically calculate flows/ pressure drops/ etc. The default "system" is too large to efficiently calculate all that.
    I look forward to seeing that message because logically thinking, if Revit isn't trying to calculate all that for me, my model "should" run a bit quicker....?
    I have also seen an error message stating that sections and elevations would no longer be updated because the unassigned system hit 250 elements. That was particularly troublesome.

Login to Give a bone

The warning happens at around 50 and does not mention elevations in any way. The sections that it is talking about are the "sections" of the pipe / duct network (each pipe / duct has a section parameter assigned to it, same method as described by ASHRAE), not the building section or elevations. Those are kept up to date at all times.

jason

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jason.martin View Post
    The warning happens at around 50 and does not mention elevations in any way. The sections that it is talking about are the "sections" of the pipe / duct network (each pipe / duct has a section parameter assigned to it, same method as described by ASHRAE), not the building section or elevations. Those are kept up to date at all times.

jason
    That's quite a relief. Thanks for the clarification.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast