Thread: Difficulty deleting layers

Login to Give a bone

Question Difficulty deleting layers

I'm unable to delete some layers. I cant find anything about this in online help (F1).

Here's the story: I wanted to start a new drawing in a new folder (for a new client) by opening an existing file, modifying it, and saving as the new drawing. I started by deleting everything from the old drawing. In the new drawing I wanted to delete some of the layers from the old drawing. When I tried to delete some of the layers I got an advice box with a [!] saying that the layer was not deleted, and that "the following layers cannot be deleted: layers 0 & defpoints; the current layer; xref-dependent layers; layers containing objects." The layer I tried to delete was not layer 0, the defpoints layer or the current layer. (At least so far as I know.) Which leaves xref dependent layers and layers containing objects. However, there was nothing in the drawing when I tried to modify the layers.

I'd like to be able to take an existing file and just modify it, including layers, to create the new drawing. Any tips/insights/advice?

Lee Hammack

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Difficulty deleting layers

Hi

Have a browse of the following thread (especially take note of any links within) -

deleting layers

If you still encounter problems after working through the above, please post the drawing file so we can take a look.

Have a good one, Mike

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Try using laydel command, assuming your have version of AutoCAD containing Expresstools. First draw lines on layers that you wish to delete and use the laydel command. The rest is easy, just pick the lines and respond to the command line window questions. All those layers will be gone. Be carefully using this command on layers that contain objects that you would not want to delete, because those would be gone too.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by hammacksf
    I'm unable to delete some layers. I cant find anything about this in online help (F1).
    See also: http://rkmcswain.blogspot.com/2005/0...ont-purge.html

Quote Originally Posted by hammacksf
    I'd like to be able to take an existing file and just modify it, including layers, to create the new drawing. Any tips/insights/advice?
    Why not just use a template drawing? Using an existing drawing is inviting problems to cascade through all of your drawings. I would suggest creating a clean template drawing and using it as your starting point for all new drawings.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |