Thread: FIELDS IN MULTIPLE LAYOUT TABS?

Login to Give a bone

Cool FIELDS IN MULTIPLE LAYOUT TABS?

Hey guys,

I made a drawing template with all the fields for my TitleBlock and Xref the title block in the template. Now when i use sheet set manager i reference the template and i create the custom properties to match the fields on the TitleBlock. Now it works fine and the fields displays my project number, sheet name, Date, Rev numbers, scale, etc. I can then use the "Insert sheet list option if i right click on the sheet set name to generate all my drawing names, numbers and Revisions. Now i copied a layout tab and it looks exactly the same but is detached from the sheet set and does not update. Does using fields work with multiple layout Tabs? The reason being you can have a drawing with different zones in each tab, rather than multiple drawings. Am i subjected to create a new sheet in order for the Fields to be effective?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: FIELDS IN MULTIPLE LAYOUT TABS?

Quote Originally Posted by athel6 View Post
    ... Does using fields work with multiple layout Tabs? T
    yes
    Quote Originally Posted by athel6 View Post
    ...Am i subjected to create a new sheet in order for the Fields to be effective?
    and yes

If a layout is not associated to the sheet set, it can't use the sheet set.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Most of the people in my office haven't even heard of sheet sets much less utilize them so when I had to implement something similar for our titleblocks, I knew I would have to find some other way other than using sheetset fields.

After doing some research I came up with a solution using DieselExpression fields. You can insert a DieselExpression equation that doesn't rely on sheetsets and that will update as layouts are added or deleted.

For example, in our titleblocks we used to use a piece of TEXT that we manually updated for the sheet number (SH X OF X). Now using Diesel inside a field this value updates itself. Here's the expression I came up with:

"SHEET "$(*,1,$(substr,$(getvar,ctab),4))" OF "$(getvar,useri1)

Diesel is a string language so any text you want to return unaltered just include inside quotes. My particular equation has its drawbacks, mainly the sheets have to have the sheet number already in it. Thus, if the names of the layouts are A, B, C, etc. then this won't work. But if you have the sheet number in your layout name, i.e. SH 01, SH 02, SH 03, etc. then this expression will work for you.

Look up Diesel and see if you can use it for your situation. Hope this helps.

Lonnie

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Is there any way to insert a field of the previous or next layout tab name in between sheets. because in my drawing, I have 3 layout sheets. its actually a column reinforcement detail. and i have there a cutting line with a call out indicating the previous and the next sheet number. is there any way of having these call outs in field.

thanks