Thread: Career advice - Autocad vs Solidworks

Login to Give a bone

Default Career advice - Autocad vs Solidworks

Background:
    I was a Solidworks user from 1999 until 2003 doing machine design. Then I left the world of work to become a stay-at-home-dad. Now I'm trying to re-enter the workforce and seeking a position doing any kind of CAD work I can get. I have a BSME but would do drafting work if I could get it, just to get back in the game.

Question 1:
    So I'm trying to decide what would make me more sense. Buy Solidworks and get back up to speed with latest version using a training class and some books OR buy AutoCAD and take a training class and get some books to learn it. My thinking is that if I learn AutoCAD AND have SW experience, then I could be a candidate for more positions. But the downside of that is that I would not be fresh on SW and would have no actual work experience in AutoCAD. What do you think? (and I can't afford to do both)

Question 2:
    If I go the route of getting AutoCAD, what should I buy? I'm not familiar with all the versions and add-ons from Autodesk. Is Inventor an add-on? Does plain AutoCAD 2011 support 3d parametric modeling like SW? Remember, I'm into mechanical design (machined parts, tooling, fixtures, machinery, automation, etc.)

Question 3:
    Is there a market for doing CAD work from home? Freelance work? Is there a website where you can bid on jobs?

Lot's questions and I appreciate anyone who will take the time to help me out here!
    Thanks!!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Career advice - Autocad vs Solidworks

Hi Wayne, welcome to AUGI.
    Since you're into machine design, I would go for Inventor - no, it's not an add-on to autocad, it's a different product that happens to be published by the same company. It is of the same generation of software as SW so has far more in common with SW.
    Don't worry too much about being up to date with latest versions; IME, mech eng companies tend not to use the latest and greatest (?) features (or even versions).

As for the work-at-home market, you need to look locally.
    Yes, there are website where you can bid for jobs so look around.

(I'm assuming that you're in the USA whilst I'm in the UK.)

Login to Give a bone

Jaberwok,
    Thanks for your reply! Do you know if I buy Inventor, does that include the basic AutoCAD software as well?

Login to Give a bone

Look for "Inventor Suite" to get both in one bundle.