Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Change Aliases

Cool Change Aliases

I know the command aliases are customizable but it would still be nice if the standard ones were a little more practical and it would save me from editing my PGP file every time I upgrade AutoCAD, re-install AutoCAD, or change computers. Here are a few I would like to come standard with AutoCAD:

3R, - *ROTATE3D
    C, - *COPY
    CB, - *COPYBASE
    CC, - *CIRCLE
    D, - *DIST
    DS, - *DIMSTYLE
    EX, - *EXPLODE
    MT, - *MTEXT
    -MT, - *-MTEXT
    PB, - *PASTEBLOCK
    R, - *ROTATE
    RD, - *REDRAW
    SA, - *SAVEAS
    T, - *TRIM
    X, - *EXTEND

Default Re: Change Aliases

The problem with this is, and I don't mean this disrespectfully, those are just your preferences. Everyone here has their own preferences, which is why it is nice that AutoCAD is so customizable. Personally, is use CI for circle. And while I agree that C should be copy, not everyone will agree.

I am not sure you will ever reach on consensus on what aliases should be used -- just as we were never able to reach a consensus on what color text should be, what color centerlines should be, etc. Eventually, someone has to sit down and say - this is what they are going to be, deal with it. And that is pretty much what Autodesk has done. At least they have given us a way to change them.

As far as new computers or different computers, you can take the acad.pgp file with you, and I also think, although I am not totally sure on this, they may go with your if you import your profile to a new computer.

HTH

Talking Re: Change Aliases

Quote Originally Posted by brenda.richardson
    The problem with this is, and I don't mean this disrespectfully, those are just your preferences.
    How DARE you disagree with me (just kidding)!! I know everyone will always have their own preferences and I respect that too. Its just that many of the aliases coming standard in AutoCAD that are more than 2 characters long, require that the user look down at the keyboard or (God forbid) let go of the mouse and use 2 hands to type in the correct alias.

Take ROTATE for example. Since RO is the standard alias, you first have to start with the R on one side of the key board and the O is on the other. I think in 2000i they had RT as another alias for this command and I got hooked on using that since the R and the T keys are together. R would be an even better alias if it were not being used by REDRAW. And who uses REDRAW anymore? Computers are being built to process so much faster these days that you may as well just use RE (good alias for REGEN) instead.

The aliases I was proposing use combinations of keys in close proximity (except MTEXT, couldn't think of a good one for MTEXT). If you don't like the aliases I proposed please feel free to submit any alternates that you would prefer or just give this thread a low rating. But if you like them please give this thread a high rating and also feel free to contribute any other aliases you would prefer.

Thanks!!

100 Club

Whats the problem with simply keeping a copy of you PGP file and simply overwriting it when you need to. You can set it up to be 100% the way you like it whereas AutoCAD will never be able please everyone.

I notice you want x to be extend whereas I much prefer it to stay as explode. This is very clear proof you can not please everyone so why try to change something that can never please everyone and alienate all the currently happy users.

Regards - Nathan

Red face Re: Change Aliases

Wow, I guess I've started quite a controversy with this thread. Believe me, many of these proposed aliases did not used to be my preference either. But after using them a few times they started to make a lot more sense. I just thought I would throw this idea out there to see if there were any open minded people that would see the practicality of these aliases that use combinations of keys in close proximity.

Also, please note that the following commands DO NOT currently have aliases assigned to them.

3R, - *ROTATE3D
    CB, - *COPYBASE
    PB, - *PASTEBLOCK
    SA, - *SAVEAS

P.S. - Thanks for all the tips on how to preserve my PGP file/preferences/aliases!!

The trouble with aliases is that AutoCAD already has a lot of them. In my office, the rule is to have any aliases you like, but you cannot redefine existing ones. So, you cannot have:

l = layer
    s = save
    p = plot
    m = mirror
    t = text
    o = open

Better to make unique aliases than redefine existing ones.

Scott

A very minor point here.

"C" used to be the alias for Copy but Adesk changed it to "CP" for Copy and "C" for Circle - probably because users asked them to.

BTW, I can easily type "RO" with either hand, do you use your littlest fingers at all?

Nathan said it - keep your own pgp file and use it to update the supplied file when you upgrade.

Ciao

Cool Re: Change Aliases

Quote Originally Posted by johnbogie
    A very minor point here.

"C" used to be the alias for Copy but Adesk changed it to "CP" for Copy and "C" for Circle - probably because users asked them to.
    You make an excellent point John. If the users asked them to change the alias in the first place, then the users can obviously ask them to change it back. That means... OMG, that what I have been suggesting here is not such a crazy idea after all!!

Actually the majority of people that I have ever asked about it actually still prefer to use the single character alias "C" for COPY and not for CIRCLE. This single character alias preference also goes for the majority of the commands that fall into the "modify" category (i.e. - ERASE, COPY, OFFSET, MOVE, ROTATE, STRETCH, TRIM, EXTEND, FILLET, etc).

A very minor point as well. The only ones responding to this thread are the same ones that are already keeping a copy of their PGP file and updating their personal aliases anyway, so why do you care if Autodesk changes the default ones?

All AUGI, all the time thomas.stright's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scott.wilcox
    The trouble with aliases is that AutoCAD already has a lot of them. In my office, the rule is to have any aliases you like, but you cannot redefine existing ones. So, you cannot have:

l = layer
    s = save
    p = plot
    m = mirror
    t = text
    o = open

Better to make unique aliases than redefine existing ones.

Scott
    Whats the reason behind this?

Whats the reason behind this?
    When working on another workstation, the out-of-the box aliases work. It's very frustrating when you enter an alias and you get a different command. Try typing o for 'offset' and getting 'open'. By keeping the AutoCAD aliases the same, this does not happen.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast