Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Change Aliases

100 Club

Default Re: Change Aliases

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonite_186
    You make an excellent point John. If the users asked them to change the alias in the first place, then the users can obviously ask them to change it back. That means... OMG, that what I have been suggesting here is not such a crazy idea after all!!
    You have completely missed the point. If users have asked for an alias to be changed and you ask for that alias to be changed again don't you think they will ask for it to be changed again. We'll be going around and around in circles and I won't know if I need to use C or CI to create that circle.

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonite_186
    A very minor point as well. The only ones responding to this thread are the same ones that are already keeping a copy of their PGP file and updating their personal aliases anyway, so why do you care if Autodesk changes the default ones?
    Where did you get that idea from. I do not keep a copy of the PGP as I am quite happy with the standard aliases. I would be happy to keep a copy of the PGP file if I was unsatisfied with the aliases. I would not be happy keeping a copy of the PGP just because the aliases were being changed with every release.

Regards - Nathan

I am quite happy with the standard aliases
    So am I. I just like to type r3 instead of rotate3d all the time.

Wink Re: Change Aliases

Quote Originally Posted by ntaylor
    You have completely missed the point. If users have asked for an alias to be changed and you ask for that alias to be changed again don't you think they will ask for it to be changed again. We'll be going around and around in circles and I won't know if I need to use C or CI to create that circle.
    Nathan you sound pretty ticked off about this whole topic so do me a favor... take a deep breath before you read the rest of this reply . I know exactly what John was trying to say. I was merely using what he said to make an alternate point (and I was just having a little fun with the "excellent idea" statement). As he said, the alias for COPY "used to be" C but was "changed to" CP. I think it was a mistake to do that and many users that I have talked to share my opinion. For example:
    Quote Originally Posted by brenda.richardson
    Personally, is use CI for circle. And while I agree that C should be copy, not everyone will agree.
    And since it was changed in the first place it has to be possible to change back. So "IF" it is the majority of the users that share that preference (like Brenda) and would like it changed back I think they should at least consider it, hence this wish list item and hence the request for your votes on this topic.

By the way...

Where did you get that idea from. I do not keep a copy of the PGP as I am quite happy with the standard aliases. I would be happy to keep a copy of the PGP file if I was unsatisfied with the aliases. I would not be happy keeping a copy of the PGP just because the aliases were being changed with every release.
    Umm.. let me think a minute...
    Whats the problem with simply keeping a copy of you PGP file and simply overwriting it when you need to. You can set it up to be 100% the way you like it whereas AutoCAD will never be able please everyone.

Regards - Nathan

100 Club

I'm certainly not ticked of about this I am simply making sure people are aware of the consequences of trying to get something changed to suit them when they have already got a simple solution.
    Regarding the following meaning I keep a copy of the PGP is just an incorrect assumption.
    Whats the problem with simply keeping a copy of you PGP file and simply overwriting it when you need to. You can set it up to be 100% the way you like it whereas AutoCAD will never be able please everyone.
    Regards - Nathan

It is sad that Autodesk still hasn't provided a way for a custom .pgp that doesn't require editing the Acad.pgp (similar to partial menus). However, if you look at the bottom of the 2005 .pgp file, you see that at least they tell you to place aliases there. And those aliases will redefine the ones above. So I place all our own aliases there and keep a separate copy of those aliases in a secure location for the next release of AutoCAD. I don't touch AutoCAD's standard aliases in the sense of editing their part of the .pgp. Some of my own additions at the bottom of the file override their definitions, however.

All AUGI, all the time thomas.stright's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scott.wilcox
    When working on another workstation, the out-of-the box aliases work. It's very frustrating when you enter an alias and you get a different command. Try typing o for 'offset' and getting 'open'. By keeping the AutoCAD aliases the same, this does not happen.
    I see your point, but I've never worked at a place where I would jump from machine to machine. In the last 8 years I have always had my own machine and no one else uses it.

Quote Originally Posted by thomas.stright
    I see your point, but I've never worked at a place where I would jump from machine to machine. In the last 8 years I have always had my own machine and no one else uses it.
    Everyone has their own workstations here, but troubleshooting on other workstations, or firing up an unused station to do modeling causes PGP woes.

All AUGI, all the time thomas.stright's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scott.wilcox
    Everyone has their own workstations here, but troubleshooting on other workstations, or firing up an unused station to do modeling causes PGP woes.
    I guess I'm falling back on my Marine training....Adjust, Adapt, Overcome.....

Excellent Tip, Robert. Thanks. I didn't know that you could do that.

Thumbs up Re: Change Aliases

Quote Originally Posted by RobertB
    It is sad that Autodesk still hasn't provided a way for a custom .pgp that doesn't require editing the Acad.pgp (similar to partial menus).
    Thats a good idea Robert. You should start a thread on that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast