Thread: Basic Questions Volume 1

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs down Basic Questions Volume 1

Hi,

I am new to Revit and have completed basic and intermediate Revit 2010 classes at a local community college. The coursework consisted of training materials published by Autodesk and Ascent. I also have Aubin's Mastering Revit 2010. I've been using A-Cad for about half of my 33 years in architecture

I've been working on a 'bank' that the CC class instructor gave to us as a practice exercise. As I work on bank I've found I've made some basic drafting errors but I'm not sure what I did wrong so I don't do it again or how to fix the error. At times I am tempted to just start over with an object but in 'real life' that may not prove to be the best way to fix something.

None of the above mentioned books have an index that lists commands / variables that I could look up. Sometimes I'm not sure what to look up in a book or through the Revit help.

With that too long background information, this will be the first of a number of posts asking some basic information. If this is not the best forum on the site for these questions, I ask the mods to kindly move it to the appropiate forum.

For the bank plan I imported a A-Cad plan drawing and had to re-import the plan after drawing most of the plan. The imported drawing cover some or all of the objects. Where do I find the change the drawing order command? I can't seem to follow what the Revit help is telling me to do.

I have a restroom and I want to check how far the toilet is from the closest adjacent wall (should be 18") Revit tells me how far it is from the farthest wall. How do I change which wall shows the temporary dimension?

Thanks,

Greg

When I grow up I want to be a little boy.

I could stop if I wanted to cek's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Basic Questions Volume 1

Not sure if this is what you are looking for but try this.

The imported drawing cover some or all of the objects. Where do I find the change the drawing order command? Try setting your view to transparent - the little 3D cube at the bottom of the interface next to the view scale.

I have a restroom and I want to check how far the toilet is from the closest adjacent wall (should be 18") Revit tells me how far it is from the farthest wall. How do I change which wall shows the temporary dimension? Clicking on the blue dot of the temporary dimension will toggle its position from center to face to opp face of wall. I'm assuming the temporary dimension is from the centerline of the toilet when you click on the toilet.

Login to Give a bone

Hi greg002,

There are some excellent training videos at http://www.cadclips.com/REVIT-AC-2009-Fundamentals.aspx that will help you with the Revit learning curve.

I hope this helps
    Last edited by mannytg; 2010-07-16 at 11:04 PM.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Welcome to AUGI, and the Revit world. I still remember changing from Acad to Revit and asking where the... is the line command. Really a tough change after many years of Acad (I had about 20 years in Acad when I changed.

Ok. The basics. I always put any acad imported plan on a separate plan. Here's how. You have a floor plan (level1 whatever). Duplicate the level (right click). Rename it level1 -acad underlay -you get the idea. Import the acad plan to that view only (remember a plan is simply a horizontal view of the overall model).

Now a quick on/off for the acad underlay is simply to switch from one floor plan view to another. Build your model on the acad level. Dimension etc with Revit on the plan without the acad underlay. To change the "drawing sequence" Select the imported drawing, then under the upper menu select "Send to back" OR (my preference) right click on the ACAD drawing, Select overide graphics in view, by element, and halftone or halftone/transparent.

Revit has its own sequence for determining which dimensions are shown. Either use measure , Blue dot (per CEK) or simply dimension the distance., then select the toilet, the dimension will highlight, type the dimension you want it to be (18") and the toilet will be then set to that dimension. Lock the dimension, then if you move the wall, the toilet will stay 18" away from the wall.
    Last edited by SkiSouth; 2010-07-17 at 02:37 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: Basic Questions Volume 1

Thanks Cek, Manny and Ski.