Thread: Rigged/Animated Character Export to Max 2010?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Rigged/Animated Character Export to Max 2010?

We have a request from a client who wants to see a 3D deer crossing at a proposed wildlife crossing. I did some searches for good rigged and animated 3D deer models. There is one that really rocks and comes with a ton of good animation. Only problem is it's in Maya format only and we are a Max shop (witha couple Maya licenses). Before we pitch buying this model I wanted to check to see if it's possible to export the rigging to 3DS Max 2010. If so, what level of effort are we looking at?

Much appreciated!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Rigged/Animated Character Export to Max 2010?

Quote Originally Posted by loydg View Post
    We have a request from a client who wants to see a 3D deer crossing at a proposed wildlife crossing. I did some searches for good rigged and animated 3D deer models. There is one that really rocks and comes with a ton of good animation. Only problem is it's in Maya format only and we are a Max shop (witha couple Maya licenses). Before we pitch buying this model I wanted to check to see if it's possible to export the rigging to 3DS Max 2010. If so, what level of effort are we looking at?

Much appreciated!
    From what I understand about the fbx format, you "should" be able to export the geometry and animation assigned to it to max. I'll try and find out from a maya expert at Siggraph tomorrow if I can get an ear.
    Steve Bennett |BIM Manager
    Taylor Design | Adventures in BIM

Login to Give a bone

I talked with a few of the whizbangzoom experts at Siggraph yesterday about this. They said it should work, "knock on wood", if the model is for purchasable download. The model, rigging, animation assigned, lights, cameras and all that should come through. The only thing that won't transfer through from maya to max is materials. Sucks, I know. The materials in the 2 platforms are totally different and continue to evolve so it would be quite the undertaking to write code to translate materials from one to the other.
    Steve Bennett |BIM Manager
    Taylor Design | Adventures in BIM

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks for digging, Steve. I chatted with our only Maya guru in DC and he said pretty much the same thing. He was skeptical that the bones would come through properly though. Redoing the materials is pretty much a given. We were also discussing "baking" in the animation as key frames. It would limit us to a looped walk cycle, but better than nothing. Final option would be to export out the terrain and render the deer from Maya and composite...

Hope you had a blast at SIGGRAPH....
    Last edited by loydg; 2010-09-16 at 03:52 PM. Reason: sp