Thread: Editing a Family

Login to Give a bone

Default Editing a Family

I am just beginning to use Revit.
    I am trying to edit a rooftop unit family, and I need to move where the supply and return is ducted into the unit. But when I try to edit it, they seem to be locked in place and so are the dimensions. It will only let me rotate them. Does anyone know how to edit them?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Editing a Family

I have never been successful in moving HVAC Connectors......that I can remember. By any chance are the connectors hosted to an extrusion the can be moved?

What I have found to be the case when placing connectors is that the connector always seems to want to be centrally located on the face that it is placed and can't be moved afterwards. That being said what I would do if I needed to have control over a connector is created an extrusion and place a new connector on the newly created extrusion. Once you have done this you can link the size of the connector to the size of the extrusion and set up parameter in order to locate the connector.

BTW I don't know that this is the best/correct workflow for this task but it is what had worked for me in the past. If anyone has any better way of accomplishing this please post it here so all of us can be enlightened. Thanks

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Once a connector is hosted to a plane, it will not move, unless there is space to nudge it on a plane. This rarely worked for me. Easiest thing to do is to create new connectors on a small extrusion to the size you need(down the road make these changable with a parameter and ref. planes..its sweet) the go to a 3d and add the connectors to them. Host on the faces, and choose if you want it to be sup. or ret. and you can even add duct sizes based on the dust size specified by using the little box in the element prop. for the connectors to the right of hieght and width. Create a duct height and width parameter. wish I had screen shots. good luck

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

If you place a connector on a face, it will center it.
    If you place a connector on a Work Plane than you can move it anywhere on that plane.

I would suggest putting the connector on a thin extrusion and adding parameters that control the position of the extrusion. I would also make the width and height image the duct.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

here's a really simple exhaust hood that I created that does a lot of what stimmo suggested. something I used on a previous project and just saved to 2010. I haven't checked it out so it probably needs some looking over but as far as moving connectors and having parameters adjust for different sizes it should work fine. You could build an AHU or RTU in the same fashion.
    Attached Files Attached Files