See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Revit 2011 Family Browser - Now Availiable

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Revit 2011 Family Browser - Now Availiable

Kiwi Codes Ltd is please to present a Family Browser for Autodesk Revit 2011.

We believe this will be a welcomed Revit 2011 API.

We have found one of the biggest complaints with Revit is the downtime searching through the windows explorer file structure to choose the required family.

With the Kiwi Codes Family Browser users can build a number of Palettes e.g. Design, construction, Detailing to suit their requirements and then add tabs to the Palettes which point to a folder on their PC or network. The Kiwi Codes Family Browser will add all .rfa files in the folder to the tab and create icons so the end user can visually see what they are about it insert.

Some of the benefits include:

Easy Setup - As easy as Selecting "Add new Tab" and then selecting the directory that you want a Palette built for. This can be on your local computer, shared network folder, or internet URL.

Fast - Once the tool Palettes are set up, the insertion of Revit families is incredibly quick. No more endless searching through windows directories trying to find you required families. Just click on the appropriate tab and insert the family from the icon.

Always up to date - Delete a family in a folder that has a palette created and it will automatically update. Same goes for Adding a family to a directory. It is instantly available.

Shared Palettes - A BIM manager can create a Palette Group on a shared directory and then it is available to anyone with permission to see it.

Roaming Palettes - If a Revit user has roaming profiles setup, their Palette shifts with them when they move computers.

Time Saving - With Kiwi Codes Family Browser installed you will see huge timesaving straight away from your Revit users.

As this is a first release, we realise that there are many more things that we could include, and we will be releasing frequent updates over the coming weeks and months. We would appreciate some user feedback from the AUGI community on what you like about our product and what you would like to see in future releases.

A "Free" download can be found at our site http://www.kiwicodes.co.nz/FamilyBrowser.aspx

We look forward to your comments.

Phillip Miller
    Kiwi Codes Solutions Ltd

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: Revit 2011 Family Browser - Now Availiable

Thanks Phillip,

Another very well thought out add on to revit.

Hopefully Autodesk sees how good this is and pays you a fair whack of cash to put it directly in to the program.

Cheers,

Ian

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit 2011 Family Browser - Now Availiable

Hi Ian.

I can always count on nice comments from my Aussie mates.

Cheers

Phillip

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Phillip,

This is great. I sent in an inquiry regarding the "site" licesnce as shown on the Kiwicodes website. Just curious as to exactly what the site license is and what the restrictions are for it.

I have installed the trial and we are testing it out. It is for sure a HUGE time saver.

Thanks for the spending the time on this.

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Phillip-

Great addition to the program. Were looking at rolling it out immediately to the 70 people in design, and potentially alot of others in the field.

I do have a few questions about potential additional functionality, if you could shoot me an email or a phone call that would be great. Things they include are:

1. Type catalogs: I noticed when it loads, it loads all the types from the catalog, which is a great start. It would be even better, if the different Types could show up in your palette, as they do in the Component button.

Why? Were not seeing this is just a faster way to LOAD components, were seeing this as a much faster way to PLACE them, since it sorts by directories, much like the AutoCAD Palettes used to, when hand built. But, for things with multiple types, we still have to use the type selector for this.

It would be TREMENDOUS if it could stay collapsed as it is now, but clicking on a family with multiple types would make it expand out (down) to reveal the types.

2. There is a bug that if you add a directory with no families, you get trapped in a cycle of an error that you cant close out of, and you have to End the Revit task in task manager. (I was testing to see what it offered in terms of RVT files (load as group).

If it included Load as Group when it encountered an RVT instead of an RFA, virtually our ENTIRE library would be supported, and i dare say we would abandon the searchable web page i just made for everyone, LOL.

Login to Give a bone

I would also be interested in exactly what the "Site License" includes or means.

Login to Give a bone

First of all I would like to thank all those people that have already downloaded and tried out Family Browser. We have been overwhelmed by the response and comments so far. I have spent most of today replying to emails with suggestions etc. There hasn't been to many speed bumps so far.

A couple of questions have consistently came up.

Site License.

1. Until 14th August 2010 as a promotion a site license means you can install on as many computers at the one site as you like. If there was three unique sites then you would be up for 3 Site licenses. We can tell if an activation request comes through from another site from the IP address of the email. This will change by the looks of it and we will probably go to a license system that you pay for a license of say 1-5, 6-10, 11-25 and then above. We are wanting user feedback before we make this decision. As I have said we are surprised by the interest and feedback so far. It’s really positive and most people that have commented think our promotional offer is a bargain.
    2. It’s a 12 month license, so all upgrades for that period are included, including a version compatible with Revit 2012.

Future Enhancements.

We have had so many suggestion on which has been fantastic. A special thanks goes to Aaron Maller for his insightful comments and suggestions for a future product. These are some of the items that we will be addressing in the near future.

1. Ability to handle catalog files for families.
    2. Drag and drop family insertion.
    3. Options on a right mouse click on a tool. ie delete, move url Jump etc
    4. Collapsible tool Palette like properties palette in AutoCAD
    5. The ability to create a type catalog on the fly if one is not present

Once again thanks for your interest, and keep the suggestions coming.
    BTW I have added some Video Tutorials to our web site demonstrating the installation and setup.
    http://www.kiwicodes.co.nz/SamplePages/FB1.aspx

Tomorrow I’m going to add a fun video showing the possibilities of using Family browser with a free product like “DropBox” to share your Palettes across the internet.
    Regards

Phillip Miller

All AUGI, all the time DoTheBIM's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip_Miller View Post
    ...1. Ability to handle catalog files for families....
    Get this figured out and a search/filter fuction and I'm sold. The type catalog was always the short fall of all the family/content manager/browswer programs I've seen. Some limitation in the API in the past. I haven't heard if the API will support that yet, but I don't keep up with API changes yet.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by DoTheBIM View Post
    Get this figured out and a search/filter fuction and I'm sold. The type catalog was always the short fall of all the family/content manager/browswer programs I've seen. Some limitation in the API in the past. I haven't heard if the API will support that yet, but I don't keep up with API changes yet.
    The type catalog actually has very little to do with the Revit API actually, as all as we need to do is read in a text file (the catalog) grab the names, and then load just those types. AS I'm pretty new to the Revit API myself i'm not sure how long the ability has been there just to load selected types???

I'm interested in your comment of search/filter function. How do you see that working?

Cheers

Phillip

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip_Miller View Post

I'm interested in your comment of search/filter function. How do you see that working?

Cheers

Phillip
    I could see a filter working similar to the 'shortcuts' dialog. Once you add tabs and pallets, you could type the name of a particular family in a search field and it would pull up any families that meet that criteria - but it would only be able to search what you have loaded. It would be really nice to have that functionality - make this thing even faster.

Phillip thanks for addressing the comments on the site license.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast