See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Preset osnaps by CAD Nazi in my office

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Preset osnaps by CAD Nazi in my office

Quote Originally Posted by dwescott View Post
    Some people just need you to know they are in charge....not realizing the stupid, pointless decisions make everyone look at them sideways.

Osnaps? Really?

I can see linetypes or even fonts, but Osnaps?
    Well, I wouldn't go that far, but have experiences with a sub-consultant that uses "interesting" drafting OSNAP practices. His drawings come to me where items are drawn to 1/256 of an inch. example: dimension shows 55'-0" but actual measurement is 54'-11 255/256"!!!

Now to be a nazi, I'd FORCE that person to USE Osnaps properly.

Login to Give a bone

how did you lock out there osnaps i have a few things that i need to lock out. like layer creation or text style manipulation that type of stuff any help would be greatly appreciated.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by AWESSON View Post
    how did you lock out there osnaps i have a few things that i need to lock out. like layer creation or text style manipulation that type of stuff any help would be greatly appreciated.
    First, I simply must ask... *why* do you feel the need to lock out these functions?
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

SOLUTION (kinda...)

My OSMODE value used to get set to zero occasionally whenever I was refreshing or regenning MEP sections. It got so annoying I made a new toolbar button with the following command:

'setvar "osmode" 127

Which (transparently) sets my Running OSNAPS to End,Mid,Int,Qua,Cen,Nod and Ins.

Before I got round to doing that I would type straight into the command line:

OS EMCDQIS[enter]

Which does the same thing.(OS=OSNAP alias)

Or I could have typed OSMODE 127

Or keep a Notepad open and copy-paste from that.

If you have the Expresstools, the System Variable Editor explains the OSMODE value in detail.

I hate CAD Nazis, but CAD Numpties can make you want to scream!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cad1.154422 View Post
    I hate CAD Nazis, but CAD Numpties can make you want to scream!
    Numpties require training...

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Tzu, On the Matter of Training
    In [CAD Standards], everyone is expected to obey the rules and regulations or he will be punished. To this, the [Cheif Operations Officer (COO)] assented.

Then he ordered that one hundred and eighty [numpties] be selected from among the [company numpties] to receive [CAD] training under [The CAD Manager] who divided the [numpties] into two [production teams] and made two of the [COO's] most favorite [numpties] their [Supervisors]. [The CAD Manager] then said to the [COO], "A good [production team] cannot be built without strict discipline. Although those [numpties] are [company numpties], discipline must be enforced without exception. So please send me two [Senior numpties] to enforce [CAD Standards]. " The [COO] consented.

The [CAD Standards we soon implemented]. [The CAD Manager] first [must make] known the rules and regulations to be obeyed and then explained to the [numpties] how to execute such commands as "[Use proper Osnaps]", "[Purge All]", "[Copy Objects]", "[Save the drawing]", "[Create a New drawing]", "[Archive the project]" and so on.

After he was finished with this, he asked the [numpties], "Is it all clear now?" "[Sure, man]," the [numpties] replied. But [The CAD Manager] explained the rules and regulations once again and then had the drummers beat out martial music.

At this, he shouted commands such as "[Use proper Osnaps]" and "[Copy Objects] " Instead of carrying out his commands, the [numpties] started giggling. [The CAD Manager] said, turning very serious, "It apparently is my fault not to have made the rules and regulations and commands plain enough. " So he reiterated what he had said before, explaining very carefully the rules and regulations and the way to carry out the commands.

After that he once again had the drummers beat out martial music and started giving commands. However, he met with only rings of laughter. Now [The CAD Manager] looked very stern and said seriously, "If I had not made sufficiently clear the discipline and the commands, it would be my fault.

Now that everything has been made clear and still you have failed to execute my orders, the [Supervisors] must be held responsible. " He ordered that the two [Supervisors] be beheaded immediately in public, as a warning to all.
    Awesson was asking how to lock out certain options.. and this can most easily be done using a reactor.

Last edited by BlackBox; 2014-08-05 at 02:40 PM.

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Self explanatory I hope

Code:
    (defun C:39 ()(setvar "osmode" 39))
    (defun C:99 ()(setvar "osmode" 99))
    (defun C:8 ()(setvar "osmode" 8))
    (defun C:59 ()(setvar "osmode" 15359))
    (defun C:9 ()(setvar "osmode" 9))
    just type 39 after reset
    Last edited by BlackBox; 2014-08-05 at 02:40 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Well I can only imagine it's for a standards reason.
    Layers are all in drawing, and drawings are being passed to drafters to pick up marks......well then they probably shouldn't be creating new layers or text styles especially if the drawings have been checked once over already. I can see restrictive management of such tools within cad but osnaps are usually preference.
    So I don't tie a line into another line from endpoint of the former to perpendicular of the existing and adjacent line?
    But I used extend.....
    Also there are smart pids and other piping documents that such controls would be useful for, especially if time is an issue and the .dwgs are being passed to drafters with a specific set of instructions....I can see establishing a set of controls that may aid in the "correct-ness" of the drawings even after they've passed through the hands of less experienced users. Layer, xref, text style....all of these are reasonable to want manipulated, be it set to certain values or their usage restricted ....(setvar) and (entmod) seems like they'll be enough 99% of the time but I can see needing to lock a drawing in it's current state with only "edit" commands able to work would be useful, for instance, for even that 1%. What say you, blackbox?

Login to Give a bone

Can you ask your IT person to write code to remove NEAR as a snap instead of setting a hard set? if the only intention is for people to not use NEARest - this seems more logical.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by bhull1985403354 View Post
    What say you, blackbox?
    I stand by that this is a training issue...

When an employee is hired, this is something that should be trained on as standard procedure, and adherence to said standard being a key performance indicator (KPI) that is factored into every employee's annual review... Without which they can expect to be passed over for raises, bonuses, promotions, etc.

Also worthy of note, is that there should be a management supported process by which suggestions can be submitted to change one's standard at periodic increments throughout a given year, so that each employee can grow to invest in said standard... One tends to support/adhere to something (in this case a standard) when one feels some sense of personal ownership.

Train users, incentivize users, and give users an opportunity to contribute to your combined success, seems pretty simple to me.

... My $0.02

Computer Specs:

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

If you all do not conform I shall be forced to remove your ability to use vowels and the "y".

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast