See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: MASSPROP field data extract

Login to Give a bone

Default MASSPROP field data extract

%<\AcObjProp Object(%<\_ObjId 8796088330752>%).ObjectName>%

Above will extract ID#... to field

How can I modify it so it will extract "volume" or density from MASSPROP???

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: MASSPROP field data extract

That's an object field. When you created it by picking the source object, the field dialog should have shown you what properties were available. Usually if they're not shown there, they don't exist.

BTW, is this in the correct post? Shouldn't it be in a new post?

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

I am an architect and have an autocad 2008 3D model of a building i am currently designing. I am trying to extract the collective volume of a number of 3D solid extrusions (in this case structural columns & beams) into a spreadsheet to allow the total material to be budget costed.

So far i have only managed to find the MASSPROP command which means i have to manually transfer the volume data between autocad and excel. Ideally i wanted to have each object identified separately on the spreadsheet but this is not practical to do manually due to the large numbers involved.

Any help will be much appreciated....

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by aozdemir1978110637 View Post
    I am an architect and have an autocad 2008 3D model of a building i am currently designing. I am trying to extract the collective volume of a number of 3D solid extrusions (in this case structural columns & beams) into a spreadsheet to allow the total material to be budget costed.

So far i have only managed to find the MASSPROP command which means i have to manually transfer the volume data between autocad and excel. Ideally i wanted to have each object identified separately on the spreadsheet but this is not practical to do manually due to the large numbers involved.

Any help will be much appreciated....
    Hi, welcome to AUGI.
    I'm in Mech., not Arch., but wouldn't it be simpler to to record lengths of beams rather than volumes? Especially if you want each member as a separate entry.
    It would also help with purchasing to quote section x length rather than volume or mass.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

I think the "beams & columns" might be concrete, not steel (H profiles or so). In some places it's actually the norm to use concrete structure, and extremely rare to go steel. In which case volume might make some sense.

Anyhow, I'd say Data Extraction would be the way to go ... but it shows no such thing as a volume for a Solid entity. Neither does a fieldcode show up for Volume of an object. However, I've found that you can fool a field into showing the Volume.

1. Make the field as usual to any of the available properties (preferably something with a size like Linetype scale).
    2. Format the number to how you want your volume displayed (including converting to different units under the Additional format).
    3. Before clicking OK, select and Copy (Ctrl+C) the Field expression in the bottom of the dialog.
    4. Cancel the dialog and open NotePad. Paste the field expression there and change the LintypeScale piece to Volume (don't change anything else).
    5. Select the code from NotePad and paste it into any text in ACad, the field will then be created.

By doing so you should be able to link volumes to attributes in blocks, which you can then expert to Excel through Data Extraction or AttOut.