Thread: How to make a reference plane always horizontal?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default How to make a reference plane always horizontal?

How can I make a reference plane be always horizontal regardless of the angle the family is drawn in the project?
    For example if I want to make a bracing family which includes gusset plates at both ends of member, how can I make the red line be always horizontal (See the attached drawing). Is that possible?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How to make a reference plane always horizontal?

I believe this to be a limitation of the software.
    The templates do not provide a means to natively constrain elements to a coordinate system (world ucs) other than the host families reference level (which is controlled by the end offsets/z level offset etc...)

Even when nesting orientation specific families such as columns that are typically set to "always vertical" their orientation is also overridden by the hosting family, as it is utilizing the coordinate system of the families reference level.

Revit is still lacking in true intelligent and efficient parametric connection support in that the elements have no relationship to one another which is likely why your attempting to nest them.

Custom programming could provide a means to adjust this without forcing users to manually correct the angle but my best advice, taking into account the limitations of connection families, scheduling, complexity of the geometry/constraints, is to model this as two separate elements.

Again if your familiar with programing it is plausible that you could generate an interface for sizing and placing the gusset in the proper location by pulling the geometry curves and type information from the existing brace and column.

In my opinion this feature should be built into the native interface. Manually placing each connection instance with zero intelligence of its hosting members is not acceptable. The same can be said for reinforcement in concrete, these elements need to be truely hosted and intelligent enough to update with their host constraints.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Thank you, so helpful..

Login to Give a bone

I have made a family similar to what you're talking about. If you start with the origin in the bottom left, pin your two origin planes. When you place your model component, you'll be placing it in plan (the host family's reference level as Jshaver is talking about) and the family should always be horizontal.

If that doesn't make sense or if you have other questions, don't hesitate to ask.