Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revit 2010 can't link CAD site drawing

Login to Give a bone

Default Revit 2010 can't link CAD site drawing

I have a site file from a surveyor. I have turned on all layers, deleted all unnecessary drawings outside the boundaries of the site, and moved the site information to the 0,0,0 (WCS) origin. It was originally over 500 miles from the origin. After all that I purged out everything.

Now when I try to link the model into my Revit file in 2010, it says it cannot import the file because it will create a model larger than 2 miles across. The largest extent of the CAD file is only about 1500 feet. I have turned on all layers and looked for any extraneous elements and have found none. I deleted all the sheet layouts containing viewports of the model space over 500 miles from the origin, but that didn't help. Revit 2010 still thinks the CAD file is going to be over 2 miles across for some reason.

I have tried setting the link units to Auto Detect, Feet, Inches, and nothing makes a difference. Anyone have an idea what else I can try?

*edit* 2009 links in the file with no problem at all! Why is 2010 being so difficult???

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit 2010 can't link CAD site drawing

Have you tried to WBlock out the Autocad file to a new clean file? It is the only way to get rid of the extra stuff that clings to the Autocad drawing, which might be causing issues. Purge alone doesn't clean it up. I have often found WBlocking the Autocad file fixes issues of importing into Revit.

Login to Give a bone

well I didn't WBlock but I just cut/paste into a new file. Only problem was my Layer State setting wouldn't import from the old file to the new file, so I had to go through manually and freeze the same layers in the new drawing that were frozen in the old. Oh well, got it done.

Login to Give a bone

In 2010, it doesn't matter anymore that the geometry is far from the origin of the CAD file. What matters is that any geometry lies within a 2 mile diameter radius and nothing else exists outside of it. In your case it could have been simply an attribute in a block (yes, even an empty block with just a text attribute). Those have to be removed.

If you don't want to wblock, try the following:
    1. Select the visible geometry in that 2 mile diameter area and cut it (use the basepoint option so you can paste it back; use 0,0,0);
    2. Type the command "select" and see if anything gets selected. In theory there should be nothing, but you might find it's selecting seemingly invisible things.
    3. Delete what is found.
    4. Re-paste to the 0,0,0 basepoint.
    5. Re-save the file. You might use a different filename just in case you need to revert back.
    6. I always finish with a purge and audit before saving.
    See if this solves your issue.

EDIT: This assumes you have Autocad If not, have your consultant do it for you.

Login to Give a bone

Dave, what would be the recommended procedure if you have a CAD site that is actually larger than 2 miles across. I have to show a site plan of an airport with all the runways and it is 3.4 miles long. Thanks in advance.

Login to Give a bone

You will have to split the cad file into 2 smaller chunks and then link each on in.
    Scott D. Brown, AIA
    Senior Project Manager | Associate

BECK

Login to Give a bone

Not sure there is a solution for this. If I recall correctly, I read somewhere that you can take an empty dwg (let's call it "A") and xref your site into it. Then link "A" into your project. The other option I can think of is to break your site plan into 2 files and link separately (each dwg file has to comply with the 2 mile diameter rule).

Login to Give a bone

What a pain in the rear. This 2-mile limit thing can really cause some issues.

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

It's actually a lot better now that we it's not Revit project based but AutoCAD geometry. And like Scott said you simply need to split the dwg until you have 1 mile radius chunk

Login to Give a bone

Isn't it also true that Revit has limitations on its own geometry, where if you get more than 1 mile out from the origin things start to get weird? I thought I read that in the Help file.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast