Thread: 2011 LT

Login to Give a bone

Default 2011 LT

I recently upgraded to 2011 LT, and it does not seem to allow running two sessions of Acad. I run two monitors, and with previous versions of LT I could have two sessions running at the same time, which allows me to have a reference drawing open on my second monitor.
    Since installing 2011, this no longer works.
    When I try to open the second session, it shuts down as soon as it locates the file I want to open.
    I would think it is something in my setup causing this, but I cannot find the cause.

Can anyone offer me any suggestions?

Bill Martin
    Conquest Mfg. Ltd.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: 2011 LT

Stretch the parent winddow across both monitors. Window (not minimize) both dwg's and put one on each monitor. Or tile horizontally. There might be a way to have two sessions open, I don't know because I'm still on 2010, but this should save you some ram by only having one instance of the app open.
    C:> ED WORKING....

LinkedIn

Login to Give a bone

That does not solve my problem. I need to have two auto cad sessions open because I am using them in conjunction with other graphic programs, and need to be able to access each cad drawing independently from the other.
    As far as 2010, I have been using this method since back in 2007, and it has always worked fine till the 2011 upgrade.

Bill

Login to Give a bone

Just curious, are the "other graphic programs" programatically accessing acad so that you require only one drawing be open in each session of acad? I did check online and couldn't find anything that indicated you would only be able to run one session. You say 'it crashes as soon as it tries to load a file'. How are you starting the second instance? Will the second instance open with no dwg loaded? If you just run it from a shortcut, it should open with a new dwg created from your default template (make sure you have the STARTUP sysvar set to 0). If this works, then there is a problem with the file or your configuration. Some third party software maybe? Try recovering the dwg.
    C:> ED WORKING....

LinkedIn

Login to Give a bone

I work for a modular home construction business, and run Mitek truss design software and LT.
    I have client reference drawings open in one session of LT on one monitor, and my construction drawings open on the second monitor. This saves me time switching back and forth from one to the other.
    As for how I open the sessions, I work from an icon on my desktop. Once the first session is open I drag it to my second monitor, then open a second session. This is all done just by clicking the desktop icon. I have been doing this since 2007, but with 2011, as soon as the second session begins to open the drawing window it just shuts itself down.
    I have had to quit using 2011 and gone back to 2010 and everything works fine there.
    Bill

Login to Give a bone

One of the routes in this thread and links within it may help although the original question is not the same as yours.

Login to Give a bone

...Just curious, I'm not working with 2011, but could you check the TASKBAR command?

When TASKBAR is set to 0 all open drawings are contained in the same session, and can be accessed via CTRL + TAB ... however, when TASKBAR is set to 1 each drawing appears within it's own session.

Hope this helps!
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

SDI variable is alive and working well in LT2011: as a quick test, I have four instances of LT2011 up in Win7 64bit. Nothing crashing, but I am only on a single monitor.

>>>...it shuts down as soon as it locates the file I want to open...<<<
    It would appear your issue is the OS, not the LT program? What OS are you using, and what does it report as the cause of the crash: all Windows come with free software, and there are many free and low cost 3rd party monitoring software out there too.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dean.23438 View Post
    SDI variable is alive and working well in LT2011: as a quick test, I have four instances of LT2011 up in Win7 64bit. Nothing crashing, but I am only on a single monitor.

>>>...it shuts down as soon as it locates the file I want to open...<<<
    It would appear your issue is the OS, not the LT program? What OS are you using, and what does it report as the cause of the crash: all Windows come with free software, and there are many free and low cost 3rd party monitoring software out there too.
    Dean,

Here's how to format your posts:
    http://forums.augi.com/misc.php?do=bbcode
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the features reminder, but I'm not still not interested.