Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Point Marker and Attribute Blocks

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Point Marker and Attribute Blocks

I see that Dynamic blocks don't work with Point Markers, I would assume that "Blocks" them self don't work with Point Markers. Is there a way to insert blocks based on the Raw Code? Or even a point group?

I REALLY like Civil 3d in the way that it will cut down on re-work for multiple scales and design work, but I feel pretty limited in the use of the software for mapping purposes.

Has anyone tried to do some sort of point export, and import MAP annotation labels? Could this work to get a LDD type drawing? I have a municipal client that does not have LDD or C3d, and uses the drawing for their "GIS" type drawing. They will pick on the symbol and it will display the attributes of the block. But now with C3d, that is not possible with point markers. Right?

I'm sure that a drawing could be created to mock a LDD drawing, but that involves a lot of manual drafting with block insertion. I still see C3d as a major crutch for the Survey sector to implement.

All AUGI, all the time brian.hailey933139's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Point Marker and Attribute Blocks

Description Keys will assign a style to the point based on the raw description, similar to the way it would insert a block in LDT. Get the points to display the way you want and then export the drawing to AutoCAD (File->Export->Export to AutoCAD->...).

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hailey View Post
    Get the points to display the way you want and then export the drawing to AutoCAD (File->Export->Export to AutoCAD->...).
    Only problem with that is that there is no way to fill in the attributes in C3D prior to exporting to AutoCAD. If this the only way, then we would have a 2 drawing system. One for C3d, then a copy of that in Autocad..... The AutoCAD one would have to be updated each time more topo was picked up. This would negate any advantage that C3d has over LDD.

I understand the need to do things differently to suit the software, but I don't understand why the programmers didn't allow for a method to bring blocks in like LDD. I like the style system, and the realtime model drafting. I'm just miffed that there is no way to tag a regular block with a point. I don't care that I have to keep scaling the blocks. Shot, I have Annotative blocks now!!!

Maybe someone has a way to setup point groups, and with code, insert symbols based on the point group or a set of numbers? Then I would just set the markers to be (pnt, desc, elev) with a no display on the tick.

Login to Give a bone

So what exactly are you trying to do? Is the issue that you have blocks with attributes that you want to use, and C3D Point Styles don't see attributes in blocks?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by nelson View Post
    Only problem with that is that there is no way to fill in the attributes in C3D prior to exporting to AutoCAD.
    Could you do this in LDT?

My suggestion, import the points into a blank file using description keys to get the markers the way you want them and then export to AutoCAD. You now have the blocks, insert this drawing back into your C3D drawing and now you have blocks inserted on your points, exactly like you had in LDT. New data? Repeat the process.

Login to Give a bone

Brian,
    I think you have the work around I'm looking for. I was thinking the same thing, or just have survey not use C3D for the data processing for this particular client. Then just open and convert object to C3D... Not sure the best way, but I'm just surprised that AutoDesk didn't provide a way to bring in blocks with points or have a way to convert down within the same drawing. I'm seeing a lot of people that have invested time with blocks and dynamic blocks, that now are not able to use them for a point marker.

The only problem with the way you have it, is I will have two write a routine that will filter out all but the blocks to save. I don't want the crew chef going in and duplicating line work and bringing that back in. Also, if I process the data in c3d, then saveas acad2007 to get the blocks dumbed down, then I would have to have two separate point styles of each code for this client. One with "block" markers, then one without. I guess I could address that in a template. ("process Client", "Client new drawing") Maybe this should be the last step in a basemap.

Would be a nice spot for a toggle of some sort to toggle on/off block munipulation.

Word for Autodesk,
    If your going to stop support of one, for the replacement of a "NEW and IMPROVED" software, please see if it does have the options to do the same things!"

Login to Give a bone

Login to Give a bone

The point styles can easily be handled with point groups. Set up a poin group that displays the points according to the points styles and another that overrides the styles so it displays nothing. Most of the time (as far as I know) you don't plot points anyways, you just use them for the design.

Login to Give a bone

Actually, many people plot points extensively. When we do a design survey, every symbol (fire hydrant, manhole, etc.) in the final drawing is actually a Cogo Point, located in the field.

I don't think there were any questions in this thread about using Point Groups to control point visibility... It was about getting access to Attributes in blocks that are used in Point Styles, right?

But since you mention it, we usually prefer to use layer visibility to control point visibility, rather than Point Groups. We often use Point Group overrides to change the label style to a different label style. But in general, we don't like "None" styles, and prefer to use layers turn off or freeze things we don't want to see.

Login to Give a bone

Lightbulb Re: Point Marker and Attribute Blocks

If I understand your question, you used to have blocks with attributes, which you were able to edit, or extract. We have an extensive library of blocks with dynamic properties. The 2010 point object cannot take advantage of that either since the symbol is now part of the point, therefore cannot be edited.
    What we do, is to import the surveys a second time in Land 2006. Then with the quick select, we select all the blocks, copy with coordinate, go to the 2010 file, and paste to coordinates. Then we change the display of the 2010 points by not including the symbols.
    You can do the same with your attributed blocks.
    Et Voila!!! This will only work as long as we can maintain a 2006 license...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast