Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LEED Credit SS7.1 and Revit

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default LEED Credit SS7.1 and Revit

For LEED Credit SS 7.1:
    Is it possible to create a Tree family with an Area Parameter for the Shade which interacts with the hardscape to provide a "shaded area" which can then be scheduled? I'm not doing this for a current project, was just thinking that the idea would be cool, but the execution seems a bit mind boggling to me. Below is the credit requirements.

Intent:
    Reduce heat islands (thermal gradient differences between developed and undeveloped areas) to minimize impact on microclimate and human and wildlife habitat.

Requirements:
    OPTION 1
    Provide any combination of the following strategies for 50% of the site hardscape (including
    roads, sidewalks, courtyards and parking lots):

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: LEED Credit SS7.1 and Revit

How would you deal with date and time of the day? Azimuth, altitude, shape of trees, etc?

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Wink Re: LEED Credit SS7.1 and Revit

Perhaps this could be done with a Solar Study--using 3D Trees to cast shadows
    at various times of day/year and demonstrated in an .avi movie for LEED?

The 2D tree with a filled region is not the answer.

cheers

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

It would take some experimentation, but it would seem that the avi could work, but probably more realistic is to do a select number of plan-view stills. With shadows set to black in a hidden line or rendered view, it may be possible in an image editing program to get an interpretation of average pixel value.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

My understanding of LEED 2009, is that it needs to only be calculated on June 21, at solar noon. I think the shading area for a particular tree would be known beforehand, it would just be a graphical matter of showing where that shadow falls on the plan. As the shadows would fall to the north (if one is north of the tropic line), perhaps the distance between the center of shadow and center of trunk could be calculated based on formula involving the latitude. The orientation of the shadow would be based on where North is. The question would be, how to calculate a Boolean area, where you only count the overlap of the "shadow area" and the "paving area" I don't see how this could be done yet.
    Last edited by Ryan Taube; 2010-08-12 at 06:21 PM. Reason: grammar

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Yes--all that might be able to be done with a 2D family, but a solar study (still shot) render from top view with sunlight, day/time/year/location and 3D foliage might still be a better choice.

just my 2 c worth

cheers

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I agree that 3D foliage would be a much better choice, but I don't know how one would calculate that 50% of the paving is covered in shadow.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

The paving could be made with floors or subregions of a toposurface, and a schedule of area generated for shaded and unshaded portions.

cheers

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Cliff, could explain how the shadow area calculation is done a little bit more in depth. I had no idea that was even possible...

Thanks,

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

I have not actually tried this, but here's a possible scenario:

1. Create a Site Plan, with a toposurface. Split up the toposurface into Subregions,
    showing hardscape (paved areas) and green areas (grass/planters, etc.).

2. Place trees ( Deciduous RPCs, for example ) where needed to provide shade on the hardscape portions.

3. Render a 3D camera view, with Top orientation from the View Cube. Specifiy the LEED required Jun. 21 date/time in the render settings.

4. Save an image ( tiff or png, with transparency ) from the rendering, and then insert
    and scale it onto the Site Plan view.

5. Noting where the shadows fall, adjust the subregions on the toposurface to align with the boundaries of the tree-shaded areas.

6. Create a new Schedule,showing the areas of the subregions which are shaded by the trees. ( if subregions don't work well and /or schedule properly, you could use Floors.

As another option, and to skip the render>place image steps above, you could just use a shaded or realistic view with shadows turned on, making sure day/time/month was set correctly. The RPC trees will cast shadows which will look a bit odd, since they are not rendered. You could create a "symbolic" tree family with a trunk and foliage mass instead of using the RPC trees.

Again, I have not tested this work flow, but in theory it should work.

cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast