Thread: Breaking up Levels for export to a NWC

Login to Give a bone

Default Breaking up Levels for export to a NWC

I'm new to Revit and know almost nothing about it. My job right now is to take the revit model we get from a different company and put it into Naivsworks. I have the Eternal tools setup for export to Navisworks. I know how to export the inter project. The next step I was assigned to was breaking down the Revit model into levels then creating a Navisworks file for each level. The way I broke it down was to make a new 3D view then added a Section BOX. I make a new view for each level then I use a section box so only one Level is visible at a time. I then export that view of one level at a Navisworks NWC. We will recieve a new revit model every two weeks. Is there a better way to break up the levels to be exported out into Navisworks? Or is there a way for me to move my 3D Views from the project I have to the updated project I will recieve? Any help will be great.

Thanks,
    Brian

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Breaking up Levels for export to a NWC

Have a look at the DPR Model Slicer:
    http://modelslicer.dpr.com/

I have yet to test this out but from the dialog captures it looks great.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

The 3d section box you are using is a good enough method... I've never used the DPR slicer but it appears that its doing the same thing.

However here is somethign you can do so you dont have to re-create the 3d views you want to export each time.

*Create a new file - name it.. "For Navis Export" or something
    *Link in the model you want to send to Navis
    *Set up elevation views for each level
    *Create a 3d view for each level - right click on the view cube - orient to view - select the elevation view (Make sure under visibility graphis - revit links - you have everything turned on, i usually just change it to custom - show categories from all desiplines, select all, check on, just to be sure.)

Save the file. Now in 2 weeks when you get the updated file all you need to do is replace it in the same location with the same name. Open the "For Navis Export" and just make sure the linked file reloaded and you should be good to go on exporting the 3d views you already had set up.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by butlerre View Post
    The 3d section box you are using is a good enough method... I've never used the DPR slicer but it appears that its doing the same thing.

However here is somethign you can do so you dont have to re-create the 3d views you want to export each time.

*Create a new file - name it.. "For Navis Export" or something
    *Link in the model you want to send to Navis
    *Set up elevation views for each level
    *Create a 3d view for each level - right click on the view cube - orient to view - select the elevation view (Make sure under visibility graphis - revit links - you have everything turned on, i usually just change it to custom - show categories from all desiplines, select all, check on, just to be sure.)

Save the file. Now in 2 weeks when you get the updated file all you need to do is replace it in the same location with the same name. Open the "For Navis Export" and just make sure the linked file reloaded and you should be good to go on exporting the 3d views you already had set up.
    The NWC export tool will work on a linked model?

Login to Give a bone

I tried to export but it gives me a error. Error reads "No suitable geometry found. Please check what part you want to export in the (Navisworks Settings) menu"

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by brian_rouse View Post
    I tried to export but it gives me a error. Error reads "No suitable geometry found. Please check what part you want to export in the (Navisworks Settings) menu"
    that happens when the exported linked models is not checked in the Navisworks options.
    Attached Images Attached Images