See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Simple routine to set user variables.

Login to Give a bone

Default Simple routine to set user variables.

This is one I cooked up the first day I learned about the basics of AutoLISP. Perhaps a newer CAD user will benefit from this one. Just add or replace variables that are important to you.

There is one error in the code, though I can't figure it out for the life of me. The following line works like a charm if point (0,0,0) is not visible on screen when the code runs. But it IS visible on screen, the code balks at the last input. It requires you to enter the "0,0,1" manually, and then finishes fine.

The dview command works perfectly well when invoked on the command line, and this line of code copies the input verbatim. So why the hangup?

Code:
    ; sets camera to default position, which is required to print to limits correctly

(command "dview" "all" "" "PO" "0,0,0" "0,0,1" "")
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Simple routine to set user variables.

Most, if not all, of those are system variables. Why do you want to echo those variables to the text screen? You could set them with the setvar AutoLISP function.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

From the two posts that I've read... They both contain something along the lines of "proper visual verification to the user".

Who is this user that doesn't have faith in what their sup/mgr is doing and feels they must recheck this every time a drawing is opened or this routine is run?

Attached is my "strange too" method of an acaddoc.lsp. You will note there is a message at the beginning of each section and one at the end. If both messages are not displayed then the code bombed in the middle and I didn't muddle up the screen.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by madcadder
    From the two posts that I've read... They both contain something along the lines of "proper visual verification to the user".

Who is this user that doesn't have faith in what their sup/mgr is doing and feels they must recheck this every time a drawing is opened or this routine is run?

Attached is my "strange too" method of an acaddoc.lsp. You will note there is a message at the beginning of each section and one at the end. If both messages are not displayed then the code bombed in the middle and I didn't muddle up the screen.
    Tod, very informative on those comments.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Opie
    Most, if not all, of those are system variables. Why do you want to echo those variables to the text screen? You could set them with the setvar AutoLISP function.
    There are a couple individuals here in the Cad Cave who are picky about knowing what their computer is doing. When the Clean.lsp routine is run, they wanted to see exactly what it did. Hey, it makes them more comfortable users and it doesn't hurt anything to write the lisp in that fashion, so why not?

In addition, since this was a very early routine for me, I wanted the visual queue of what went right and what went wrong. Seeing on my F2 screen that the variables updated correctly up until [ex] "fieldeval" told me exactly where in my code I screwed up. I saw no need to rewrite it to use setvar after I knew what I was doing.

Referencing the question I add about the dview command, should I create a new post specifically for that?

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by keelay711
    There are a couple individuals here in the Cad Cave who are picky about knowing what their computer is doing. When the Clean.lsp routine is run, they wanted to see exactly what it did. Hey, it makes them more comfortable users and it doesn't hurt anything to write the lisp in that fashion, so why not?
    Most users don't like having their Autocad vars messed with. Test the Autocad vars and only modify them if nessisary. Then notify the user of the changes that needed to be made. If standards are being used no changes may be needed.
    Code:
     (if (/= (getvar "angbase") 0)(progn(setvar "angbase" 0)(princ "\nSet base angle to 0 (East).")))
    (if (/= (getvar "angdir") 0)(progn(setvar "angdir" 0)(princ "\nSet angle direction to counterclockwise.")))
    (if (/= (getvar "aunits") 4)(progn(setvar "aunits" 4)(princ "\nSurvey units.")))
    (if (/= (getvar "auprec") 3)(progn(setvar "auprec" 3)(princ "\nSet angle precision to ddd°-mm'-ss\".")))
    (if (= (getvar "autosave") 0)(progn(setvar "autosave" 15)(princ "\nAutosave every 15 minutes.")))
    Referencing the question I add about the dview command, should I create a new post specifically for that?
    I tested it and it worked ok on my machine in 2007. When 0,0 wasn't visable it put me there though. Took a couple of zooms to get back. Were you getting some kind of error message?

Login to Give a bone

There are a couple individuals here in the Cad Cave who are picky about knowing what their computer is doing. . .
    . . . and about the registry writing, AutoCAD change your registry keys at least 50 times per seconds. . .
    textscreen all over the individuals face or ?

: ) Happy Computing !

kennet

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Beauford
    I tested it and it worked ok on my machine in 2007. When 0,0 wasn't visable it put me there though. Took a couple of zooms to get back. Were you getting some kind of error message?
    Code:
    Command: dview
    Select objects or <use DVIEWBLOCK>: all 581 found

Select objects or <use DVIEWBLOCK>:
    Enter option
    [CAmera/TArget/Distance/POints/PAn/Zoom/TWist/CLip/Hide/Off/Undo]: PO
    Specify target point <28'-0.1840", 8'-11.0408", 0'-0.0000">: 0,0,0
    Specify camera point <28'-0.1840", 8'-11.0408", 0'-1.0000">: 0,0,1
    Camera and Target may not be coincident
    ; error: Function cancelled

Specify camera point <28'-0.1840", 8'-11.0408", 0'-1.0000">:
    This was clipped straight from the drawing. The "clean" routine was run with the 0,0 point visible on screen. Had I run it with the 0,0 offscreen, it would have accepted the camera point input with no problems. Entering the 0,0,1 manually after the code fails completes the command without a problem.

Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: Simple routine to set user variables.

Quote Originally Posted by keelay711 View Post
    The "clean" routine was run with the 0,0 point visible on screen. Had I run it with the 0,0 offscreen, it would have accepted the camera point input with no problems. Entering the 0,0,1 manually after the code fails completes the command without a problem.
    Old thread, I know but it is still broken in AutoCAD 2010. as a workaround I zoomed the drawing to 10,10 - 20,20, executed the command and then zoomed previous - *Twice*. Yeah, twice. I dunno - I don't ask anymore.

Code:
    DEFUN C:FIXTXT () ;Shortcut fix text rendering problems . 1st ditch the AEC render DLLs
    (COMMAND "zoom" "window" "10,10" "20,20" "-purge" "R" "*" "n" "dview" "ALL" "" "points" "0.00,0.00,0.00" "0.00,0.00,1.00" "" "zoom" "previous" "zoom" "previous") 	; then move the camera in 3D space to a 2D-friendly point
    )