Thread: Dependent views not acting dependent

Login to Give a bone

Default Dependent views not acting dependent

I have been noticing the following actions in a master view do not carry onto their dependent views:

- Location of callout detail bubbles
    - Changes in the location of grid bubbles
    - Anything you "hide in view" on a main view will not be hidden on its independent views.

Is this expected behavior/intended? Is there some sort of option I can enable to stop it from happening?
    Matthew Danowski, PE, LEED AP BD+C
    Project Electrical Engineer
    Baltimore, MD

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Dependent views not acting dependent

I've always been confused as to how dependent views were really supposed to work. I had a big project set up to use them and then once it really started moving I broke the dependencies because it seemed like more hassle than it was worth. It's really not clear to me what is supposed to be dependent and what is supposed to be independent. It seems like annotation generally is dependent (though apparently not callouts or grids), but how is this really effectively utilized?

I tried using it for partial plans. The building is too big for any one floor to fit on a sheet, so my thought was to have the parent view be the whole floor and then cut the dependent views into the quadrants of each floor that will fit on one sheet. That way you could go about tagging without worrying about what quadrant you were in. However in practice it just wasn't worth it because the annotation near the border of each quadrant would show up on both sheets, and since I like to keep my notes in the margin, that's where everything is so it just didn't work.

Sorry that this didn't answer your question and was just basically a tangent, but just how are you using dependent views?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Dependent views not acting dependent

yes we ran into similar issues with dependent views and found they are limited when it comes to callouts, sections, and other annotation types of items. Annotations are view specific, so you can do things in the overall view and they not take effect at the dependent level, and vice versa.

This was a particular pain in dealing with sections, elevations, and callouts. The From:To fields ended being wrong if said items did not occur in the first dependent view placed on a sheet. So a section is cut from E-202, but the from value actually shows E-201. Why? Because the first dependent view is placed on E-201 and the overall view associates itself E-201. No way to change it either, except converting the dependent view to an independent view and replacing all your annotations, etc.