Thread: Truss Family

Login to Give a bone

Default Truss Family

Is there anyway to give a parameter to the height of a truss dimensioned from the Top Flange of the Top Chord to the Bottom Flange of the Bottom Chord easily?

Currently, a simple truss family only has the analytical lines that can be dimensioned. I can't seem to figure out a good way of modifying the parameters in the family or in the project to get the dimension parameters to represent actual construction instead of analytical lines.

Any suggestions?

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Truss Family

Quote Originally Posted by Rodan2000 View Post
    Is there anyway to give a parameter to the height of a truss dimensioned from the Top Flange of the Top Chord to the Bottom Flange of the Bottom Chord easily?

Currently, a simple truss family only has the analytical lines that can be dimensioned. I can't seem to figure out a good way of modifying the parameters in the family or in the project to get the dimension parameters to represent actual construction instead of analytical lines.

Any suggestions?
    I wouldn't say it was particularly easy, but it is definately possible.
    The important thing is, try not to over-constrain your truss, the more variables you put in there the less likely it is to work, the more frustrated you are going to get, and the more likely it will be to crash or bug out during the life of the project.

My first recommendation is go back to pen and paper.
    Sketch out the truss based on how revit will build it, so just draw a centre-line out and then think about how you need to constrain each portion.

I have attached a few things here.
    A truss family that I built a while back, this was my first one but it has served me well.
    Take look at the family and the paramaters built into it.
    Secondly, I have attached a dwf of a skillion trussed roof model that I made for a project. This uses all the same truss family, just duplicated and renamed to serve the different truss lengths, and sizes I need.

Also, a doc file which I hope works well enough, but basically this shows how I set this truss out in the project itself, you can see I have told it to make the bottom of bottom chord the set out point, but it still calculates over-all height based off the centre lines, so you need to do a few quick calcs in a section and work out the initial end depth u require and roof slope, the rest is worked out for you. And to achieve the cantilevered top chord, you need to unlock (unpin) the top chord, and stretch it as required, I then use reference planes to 'cut geometry' of this so it gets a nice flat end on it.

Laslty, when I have made 1 truss to suit a particular truss type, I clean it up a bit by unpinning all the webs and chords, drag them around, cope them accordingly, and adjust the cope distance to something small like 2mm. This makes your truss look nice and neat. Then when you want to copy it about you need to select all of the members not just the truss family centreline, and copy the whole lot around, the whole process is pretty quick and easy to achieve a nice clean looking roof.

Ok, the doc file doesnt work, will work on a jpeg for u or some such.

Also please note, this roof isnt finished yet, so I know there are 'some' errors on it but actually this model served well to find these things that weren't working with the original design, its awaiting design comments!
    Attached Files Attached Files

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Truss Family

JPG of project properties
    Attached Images Attached Images