Thread: Parameters: what can schedule, what can't?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Parameters: what can schedule, what can't?

I am having some issues with parameters and schedules vis-a-vis door families. I have some length Type parameters, listed under Dimensions, for Frame Jamb Face, Frame Head Face and Frame Deoth. None will schedule. I also have a text Type parameter, listed under COnstruction, called Frame Type, which will schedule. I am just curious what governs what will or won't schedule? Truth is, I plan to use a Project Parameter for Frame Type, so I ensure it is the same parameter on all windows and doors, but I would really like to schedule those frame dimensions to, and can't seem to.

Thanks,
    Gordon

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Parameters: what can schedule, what can't?

You can schedule project parameters, only. No family parameters. To be able to schedule a parameter that you create in a family, create or select that parameter using your shared parameters file; then in the project, bring the same shared parameter into the project as a project parameter. That's what 'shared' means: that the same parameter is used by both the family and the project, using the shared parameters file as the bridge. That's why your custom parameters "Frame Jamb Face", "Frame Head Face" and "Frame Depth" are not scheduling: because they are just family parameters; they don't use the bridge.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Alfredo Medina View Post
    You can schedule project parameters, only. No family parameters. To be able to schedule a parameter that you create in a family, create or select that parameter using your shared parameters file; then in the project, bring the same shared parameter into the project as a project parameter. That's what 'shared' means: that the same parameter is used by both the family and the project, using the shared parameters file as the bridge. That's why your custom parameters "Frame Jamb Face", "Frame Head Face" and "Frame Depth" are not scheduling: because they are just family parameters; they don't use the bridge.
    But that's the thing, I created the Frame Type parameter in the family, not shared, and it scheduled. Caught me off guard actually. I sure wish Revit would just schedule everything in the family. I understand the need for a shared parameter to tag something, but there is really no reason why every parameter can't be scheduled.

Gordon

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon.Price View Post
    But that's the thing, I created the Frame Type parameter in the family, not shared, and it scheduled.
    I don't think so. There is a Frame Type parameter built in every door. That's the one you saw in the schedule. Therefore there was no need to create a Frame Type parameter in a door family anyway.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Alfredo Medina View Post
    I don't think so. There is a Frame Type parameter built in every door. That's the one you saw in the schedule. Therefore there was no need to create a Frame Type parameter in a door family anyway.
    Hmmm, now that is embarrassing. Maybe I need to go have a beer.

Gordon