Thread: Interesting feature,,,

Login to Give a bone

Default Interesting feature,,,

Greetings,
    One of the guys here just showed me an interesting feature in Autocad. If you have worked with Excel for example you may know this feature already. Hit the Alt key. You should see a bunch letters or numbers appear in a small box above each command title. If you then hit the corresponding letter or number that will activate the command or sub menu.
    The only problem is that although he came across this feature (he found it in the Lazy Drafter) it doesn't work on his Autocad 2010 (it does work on me however).
    If anyone knows how to re-activate this feature please let me know. Nav is quite put out because he doen't have it to play with.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Interesting feature,,,

Do you have a different os than he does? On my XP workstation, ALT just underlines the shortcut key (which you may not notice). But on my Win7 laptop, ALT displays the character.
    C:> ED WORKING....

LinkedIn

Login to Give a bone

We use the same OS. He dropped a while ago to tell me that if you shut off the menus and leave just the Ribbon it will work.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

That's probably it: MENUBAR.

BTW, this "New Feature" is nothing new. It's a carry-over from the Menu Bar's mnemonics itself. If you pressed Alt the menu shortcut got underlined, then pressing that key opened that menu, then each item in the menu had its own underlined shortcut - which if it was a sub menu (like a group) would open that sub-menu. And it's not an ACad feature, it's a Windows overall feature; I've used it since Win95, but I think they were available even before that - some old DOS programs also had this "Feature".

http://blog.i18n.ro/keyboard-shortcu...he-same-thing/

This may be why it conflicts when you have both the ribbon and the menu displaying. I don't know which takes precedence, but I have the feeling it would be the menu.

In this way I used the following quite a lot:
    Alt+E+D => Edit --> Paste to Original Coordinates
    Alt+F+T => File --> eTransmit

Due to the ribbon, I now have to learn a new set of these.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by irneb View Post
    In this way I used the following quite a lot:
    Alt+E+D => Edit --> Paste to Original Coordinates
    Alt+F+T => File --> eTransmit

Due to the ribbon, I now have to learn a new set of these.
    I am a keyboard entry person. And 2010 changing these up has really fouled me up! In the plot menu for instance, Alt-T used to "apply to layout", now it changes the plot transparency toggle! Grrrr. I keep tripping over these. It is infuriating.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

However, as stated you can turn the menubar on - then the old Mnemonics will work as before (seeing as the menubar overrides the ribbon's). Although some verticals (e.g. ACA) have cleared their previous menubar's from the new CUI's. You could of course recreate that menubar, or even better create one exactly as you would want it, or better still add commands to the "real" keyboard shortcuts such as Ctrl+Key, FKey, etc.