See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Deleting Revit System Family:Text Types

Login to Give a bone

Default Deleting Revit System Family:Text Types

How do I delete Text Types that I no longer need. I realized that Text type is a system family but does not appear in the project browser like other system families. You are able to delete and modify wall types from the project browser but the question is where do you delete text types.

If you read the User guide, it mentions that you are able to delete system family types but you need at least one type to duplicate from, but does not show you how to do it.

Thanks

All AUGI, all the time Alex Page's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Deleting Revit System Family:Text Types

Use the purge command, and at the bottom of the dialog box are"other styles". Under this are the 'unused' text styles. Uncheck everything except for the text styles you want deleted

To purge all the 'system' text files you need to have created one of your own (since you cant purge the last one)

Login to Give a bone

It worked for some text types but since I imported .dwg files. I'm getting a bunch of text types which im not using right now. I made sure of this by going through every view and making sure every imported file is exploded and the texts are reassigned to the correct text types.

Is there anyway to delete these types without using purge.

Login to Give a bone

Nevermind, I found all the used Text Types reassigned them and purged them... your method works fine if you are not using them.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Also, you may want to think twice about exploding your acad drawings. It could have repercussions later.

Good Luck.

All AUGI, all the time Duncan Lithgow's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Since Google led me to this post I'll just add something from my experiences today.

It's not enough to just switch out all instances of a given Text Type. It also needs to be removed from View templates for Schedules and all of the Schedules themselves.

And Jmickledesign is very right, don't explode CAD drawings if you can avoid it.

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: Deleting Revit System Family:Text Types

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Page View Post
    Use the purge command, and at the bottom of the dialog box are"other styles". Under this are the 'unused' text styles. Uncheck everything except for the text styles you want deleted

To purge all the 'system' text files you need to have created one of your own (since you cant purge the last one)
    Thank you, I was trying to delete one of my wall sweep types I'd inadvertantly duplicated and couldn't find anywhere how to access these. I had never used purge to do this sort of thing and wouldn't have tried it had I not seen your post. Can't find an option to give you a kudo or upvote or whatever or I would.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks Alex! I couldn't find how to delete a wall sweep I'd inadvertently duplicated anywhere. This was easy.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by JB27 View Post
    Thank you, I was trying to delete one of my wall sweep types I'd inadvertantly duplicated and couldn't find anywhere how to access these. I had never used purge to do this sort of thing and wouldn't have tried it had I not seen your post. Can't find an option to give you a kudo or upvote or whatever or I would.
    There are two ways you can give positive feedback: 1) In the lower left of a post, there's a "badge" (6 pointed star) that you can click to add to a member's reputation. 2) in the upper right of a post is the question: "Did you find this post helpful?" If you did, click the "Yes" link.

Login to Give a bone

Check your View Templates also. If your View Template (e.g schedule view template) is using a Text Type, you will not be able to purge it until you reassign it