Thread: twist in slice (face) through solid

Login to Give a bone

Default twist in slice (face) through solid

Is there any way to make a non-planar slice through a solid? I need it to rotate through a 5 degree twist as it slices. I am trying to cut a shape much like a watch gear, toothed on one side. There are 36 teeth on one end of a cylindrical sleeve that is closed on the other end. The top of each tooth would be separated by 10 degrees, with the bottom of the cut 5 degrees from each.

Failing to produce a solid that I can subtract from the tube by other means, I am hoping that the attached example will illustrate my problem. Some attempts are on layers that are turned off. For instance, I tried taking a 10 degree portion of the sleeve in the GearCut layer and then using two of the surfaces from the 2D layer to slice it. Any ideas?
    Attached Files Attached Files

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: twist in slice (face) through solid

Try developing an extrusion that does the job of making the shape you wish to cut, so with your twisted tooth shape, you should be able to draw up a solid extrusion similar to that.

Then you just do a void by extrusion in your main object and insert your extrusion in place...should work but I'm making it sound easier than it will actually be

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: twist in slice (face) through solid

I tried extruding, but I run into the same variable profile issue. From the radius to the diameter, the profile changes from a line to a triangle. I could go from inside to outside diameters like the wedge/sleeve union in the GearCut layer, but even though both profiles are 2-dimensional, they vary with distance from origin.

If I were to approximate a 5 degree tooth segment with a wedge and repeat it (alternating the wedge direction) 36 times, is there a smoothing function for the inside and outside diameter? This is only a drawing and not a CNC machine control, so close is good as long as it doesn't look like discrete edges.