Thread: 2011- Linked Model - V/G Filter

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default 2011- Linked Model - V/G Filter

Hi All,

I thought I saw (or read) somewhere that in 2011, you can now apply Visibility / Graphics Filters, and have them affect modeled components in a linked file.

For example, Structural Columns, Type Name contains "Concrete" in the structural model... Surface Pattern = Pink Solid Fill.

I asked a similar question 9 months ago, and Aaron gave me the following answer:
    http://forums.augi.com/showthread.ph...ht=FILTER+LINK

It's true, I can get my engineer to set up a few courtesy views. But, I would need them to make a courtesy view for each view family (Floor Plan, Celing Plan, Elevation / Section, 3D). Not too bad, but I'm also finding that they would need to create a unique Floor Plan courtesy view for each level.

If I do Visibility Graphics > Revit Links > Select Structural Model > "By Linked View" for floor plans, it messes up how the Floor Plan View Range affects Elements in the Structural Model.

For example, the Courtesy View has a cut plane at Level 1. I apply the "By Linked View" on to my 3rd floor plans, the structural cut plane still looks like the Level 1 cut plane. So I would need a Courtesy View of each level. But this is sort of a deal breaker, when I need 14 levels of floor plans and ceiling plans.

In an ideal world, I would just like to apply my Filters in my view, and have it directly affect the elements in the structural model.

Thanks.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: 2011- Linked Model - V/G Filter

Couldn't your engineer (or you for that matter) create a view template for how you want those linked views to display and then simply apply to all of the courtesy views at the same time?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by saeborne View Post
    I thought I saw (or read) somewhere that in 2011, you can now apply Visibility / Graphics Filters, and have them affect modeled components in a linked file.http://forums.augi.com/showthread.ph...ht=FILTER+LINK
    When Aaron answered that, it was Pre-2011's public release.

Yes, Filters do work in 2011 (sort of) on Linked elements. I can get it to work, provided, it is applied to only once category, and it is overriding the Cut Lines. I have not been able to get it to override the Cut pattern 85% of the time.

Scott

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Womack View Post
    When Aaron answered that, it was Pre-2011's public release.

Yes, Filters do work in 2011 (sort of) on Linked elements. I can get it to work, provided, it is applied to only once category, and it is overriding the Cut Lines. I have not been able to get it to override the Cut pattern 85% of the time.

Scott
    Thanks for the reply, Scott.

Here's what I'm trying to do... The structural engineer has modeled a ton of Micro Piles as Structural Columns. I want to see his other columns, but I never want to see a structural column with a type including the word "Pile." There are some other slabs and stuff that I want to filter out by Type Name as well.

I can't get this type of filter to work. Is this a documented not working feature?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by eric.piotrowicz View Post
    Couldn't your engineer (or you for that matter) create a view template for how you want those linked views to display and then simply apply to all of the courtesy views at the same time?
    A view template only helps to a degree.

True, I can ask my structural engineer to create 14 courtesy floor plan views (and 14 RCP views), and apply the same view template to all of them. That is not the end of the world.

But when I get his file, the View templates break down. Because I'm relying on "By Linked View" to show a specific structural column visibility, I can't effectively create view templates. Or more specifically, I need a unique view template for each level, and for each drawing type. At that point, why bother?

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Cool Re: 2011- Linked Model - V/G Filter

Here's what I'm trying to do... The structural engineer has modeled a ton of Micro Piles as Structural Columns. I want to see his other columns, but I never want to see a structural column with a type including the word "Pile." There are some other slabs and stuff that I want to filter out by Type Name as well.

I can't get this type of filter to work. Is this a documented not working feature?
    To simplify what you need to do,

Could you:
    Select All Instances in Project( or current view) >Hide Object?

Not sure if you use Tab to highlight the pile column in the Linked model if this will work?

cheers

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

In 2011, you can do EXACTLY that. I just did it in 2011 to verify, before i posted. My earlier response was because in 2010 you couldnt do it.

What youre probably doing wrong, is Filtering by TYPE name, and he probably has it in the FAMILY name, so try that.

EDIT: let me elaborate. Hes probably got:
    "Micro Pile: 24x24x16" in the project.
    "Micro Pile" is the FAMILY Name, while "24x24x16" is the type name.

It happens in my office all the time, as people Filter Wide Flanges looking for STL, forgetting that STL is in the Fam name, not the type name.

But it does work, i can set a Filter in my arch model to turn structural columns containing the letters STL in the family name, to red, and the structural models all turn red.

Cliff- Select all instances doesnt work, since theyre not in his project. And its a ton of views to hide them in. And if doesnt regenerate of the Engineer adds new instances or replaces them with instances that have new EID's, which isnt ideal.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by twiceroadsfool View Post
    In 2011, you can do EXACTLY that. I just did it in 2011 to verify, before i posted. My earlier response was because in 2010 you couldnt do it.

What youre probably doing wrong, is Filtering by TYPE name, and he probably has it in the FAMILY name, so try that.

EDIT: let me elaborate. Hes probably got:
    "Micro Pile: 24x24x16" in the project.
    "Micro Pile" is the FAMILY Name, while "24x24x16" is the type name.

It happens in my office all the time, as people Filter Wide Flanges looking for STL, forgetting that STL is in the Fam name, not the type name.

But it does work, i can set a Filter in my arch model to turn structural columns containing the letters STL in the family name, to red, and the structural models all turn red.

Cliff- Select all instances doesnt work, since theyre not in his project. And its a ton of views to hide them in. And if doesnt regenerate of the Engineer adds new instances or replaces them with instances that have new EID's, which isnt ideal.
    Ok. I got things working now. Thanks for the reassurance that it is possible.

When I open the structural Model, his geometry is named like this:
    Family Name: Concrete-Round-Column
    Type Name: 7" CONC PILE

So the filter was correct. The issue was that the view had "Custom" linked model view settings, not "By Host View." Changing it to "By Host View" fixed that issue.

Now... On to a doozy of a follow up question:

I want a filter to affect only slab objects in the structural model. He's modeled all of the concrete column drops with a type name of "DROP."

I want to hide any slabs in the Structural Model that don't contain the Type Name "DROP." But I do want to see all of my architectural Floors, regardless of how they are named. Is this possible? Or do I need him to go back and rename all of his other slabs?