Thread: New Addition Renderings

Login to Give a bone

Default New Addition Renderings

I've done a few renderings for our office so far, but everything has been more of a conceptual model rather than a 'realistic' rendering. This project was my first attempt at really focusing on materials and lighting, as well as using a background image to make the scene more convincing.

For these two renderings I modeled the existing building and the site, then placed the AutoCAD camera about where the actual photo was taken from and lined up the extents of the building and the roof line. I then rendered the new addition and existing building together and merged it into the photo using my amature image editing skills.

All of this was done with mass elements in ACA2011 using all custom materials.

If anyone has any comments I'd love to hear them. I was thinking of doing future renderings in this fashion, especially since we don't have RPCs in the office, so any tips would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by douglass; 2010-09-07 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Added ACA Version

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: New Addition Renderings

Wow excellant job. I'd say it's pretty successful.
    What version are you using. RPC's came with ACA2008 I think and were increased in ACA2010.
    Well ok they are an extra download but are free with your license (or is that subscription).

When you say "All of this was done with mass elements in ACA2011 using all custom materials" do you really mean everything? It would be easier to use walls and roof's etc. ME's are good for those custom shapes.

The signage is blurry but I think it's done really well. Even a wind sock!! (That's not a ME is it?).

well done.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by neje View Post
    Wow excellant job. I'd say it's pretty successful.
    What version are you using. RPC's came with ACA2008 I think and were increased in ACA2010.
    Well ok they are an extra download but are free with your license (or is that subscription).

When you say "All of this was done with mass elements in ACA2011 using all custom materials" do you really mean everything? It would be easier to use walls and roof's etc. ME's are good for those custom shapes.

The signage is blurry but I think it's done really well. Even a wind sock!! (That's not a ME is it?).

well done.
    HUH??? I never knew that!! What's the link? I've bought a few packages over the years, but wouldn't mind adding to my collection.

Login to Give a bone

neje,

I still have yet to get our subscription info from the boss to download some RPCs, I'm waiting until our next project to try them out. I generally use walls/slabs but we needed a quick exterior-only rendering, so I used mass elements since all of my 3d experience from school was with solids, making it a lot easier (for me) to just dive into it and crank out a model. I don't like to use OOTB materials simply because I'm still leaning about material properties, so the more I work with custom mats the better.

It broke my heart to blurr out the sign, but it was the one thing my boss wanted me to do before posting the images.

That windsock was actually part of the original photograph. I did a sort of "pixel swap" in my image editor to move it from the existing roof to the new addition, and enlarged it to appear more in the foreground. It used to be next to that piece of roof equipment on the sloped roof.

Thanks for the comments. I must admit I'm pretty impressed with the renderings you and others have posted on these forums, so I plan to share share and comment more in the future. Unfortunatly our office still works 90% in 2D, so I only get to make models when work is slow or the client needs images for presentations.

Login to Give a bone

In some cases, Mass Elements are the only way to go. It's the only way i know of to get a true ribbed metal panel look. I've used Mass Element for just about every thing in the past. For a while it was the only way you could model foundations with pier pockets and other oddities that ACA just didn't have a good method for.
    Anyway, Nice work.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dzatto View Post
    HUH??? I never knew that!! What's the link? I've bought a few packages over the years, but wouldn't mind adding to my collection.
    I think came with ACA2008 and then increased with 2010. If you go to your Content Browser it should have the link. Otherwise enquire with ArchVsion and they will point you to the download. The additional library gives you a decent amount of options for plants & trees though I do find the trees not very well defined. Like a water colour image of a tree rather than a clear 'photo' of a tree. However that may be because of it's use in ACA and they may perform differently in MAX etc.

It may be with your subscription so you can also visit your sub page and it's there for download.

cheers

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by david_peterson View Post
    In some cases, Mass Elements are the only way to go. It's the only way i know of to get a true ribbed metal panel look. I've used Mass Element for just about every thing in the past. For a while it was the only way you could model foundations with pier pockets and other oddities that ACA just didn't have a good method for.
    Anyway, Nice work.
    Try customising a curtain wall and give the mullions the rib profile. I'm not good with them so I've never really sorted the ends as the spacing goes off but a corner flashing covers that anyway.
    I picked on his comment because I would think ME's are a very slow way to model everything. I am assuming that it's a working ACA model, not just box for rendering.
    Good think about Curtain Walls is windows can be inserted as in a wal so moving the window will move the opening. They can also be added as an interference object if the window is inserted into an adjacent wall.
    Not sure about the foundation method you refer to. I created a timber bearer stump and base sole plate with a railing style but you can't extend the piers so it's only good for flat sites.
    Yes sometimes you just have to fall back to ME's