Thread: Reporting Parameters broke nested parameters

Login to Give a bone

Question Reporting Parameters broke nested parameters

So I'm loving the new reporting parameters... except that it seams to have taken away the option to pass calculated values up from nested families.

For example:
    Nested family has length and width. length x width = area.
    Host family would like to use area, can't. I'm sure this was possible in the past, I've tried this for all kinds of different values and none of them work. This has broken some pretty complicated families doing some pretty heavy lifting. Rebuilding them requires two changes to the workflow: use reporting parameters whenever possible, move all calculations to the host family.

Any other thoughts or experiences? Any other solution instead of rebuilding the families?

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Reporting Parameters broke nested parameters

You have Area as a parameter with a formula in the Nested (child) Family? And you want to tie it to a parameter in the Host (parent) family? If Length and Width are also tied, i dont see how thats supposed to work. (Actually, even if theyre not tied, i dont see how its supposed to work).

Regarding reporting parameters... Youre not trying to make Area "report" a value from the Child family, are you? It wont. The Hosts have to drive the Nested, you cant have them read the other way.

Login to Give a bone

Area was just an example. In the past I've used nested families to hide the complexity of some special case families. A "math model" nexted in a "user friendly model". The user friendly model exposed the parameters which the user needed to control and the nested model had all the formulas, conditional statements, etc, needed to get the work done. This doesn't work any more. It's ok. I was just updating a family with a lot of long equations in it and wanted to double check that I wasn't missing something.

All AUGI, all the time Alex Page's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

This still works - we are doing it all the time.

If updating a family, when loading into the project, you have to 'override parameter values" for reporting parameters to work (I think this is fixed in SP1 - but just an idea)

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Andre Baros View Post
    In the past I've used nested families to hide the complexity of some special case families. A "math model" nexted in a "user friendly model". The user friendly model exposed the parameters which the user needed to control and the nested model had all the formulas, conditional statements, etc, needed to get the work done.
    sounds a great tip for driving paramaters in opposite direction, even though not yet fully understand it, will be great if you or someone else can elaborate on it, thanks.