See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: 2009 Cvl 3D, ??? Load "STP" or "SHX" Files

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default 2009 Cvl 3D, ??? Load "STP" or "SHX" Files

Hey All, New User Here....

I need help with loading text fonts in my dwg or/and dwt files in Civil 3D 2009.

Here is the situation;

I am an Land Desktop 2005 user who uses "Drawing setup" to load text styles.
    I like the Leroy lettering style so, I use the Leroy.stp file to load them in Land/2005 via "Drawing Setup, Text style tab.

Here's the Question;

How can I get the Leroy style fonts LOADED,IMPORTED, INSERTED, INSTALLED or by any other means available into Civil 3D, 2009 via the use of a STP or SHX file.

I do know I can insert a drawing or dwt file that contains these fonts into my working drawing but, would prefer to find another way.

Please help

Dan-L

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: 2009 Cvl 3D, ??? Load "STP" or "SHX" Files

STP files do not exist in Civil 3D; instead, Civil 3D uses Labels that auto-size based on the label settings.

The Leroy.STP file really did nothing but create a bunch of Text Styles that used the Simplex.shx font. Each Style was hard-coded with the correct text size, depending on your Drawing Scale. To work at a different Drawing Scale, you had to regenerate all your Text Styles.

In Civil 3D, things work very differently. All you need is a SIMPLEX Text Style, and then use that in your C3D labels. The rest of the sizing happens automatically.

Although you will probably also want a set of Annotative Styles, set to standard heights (e.g., 0.08", 0.10", 0.12", etc.). Annotative Text, MText, Dimensions, and MLeaders are also handy in Civil 3D.

It takes some adjustment, but it actually works much better than LDT's STP files.

Login to Give a bone

First read what Sinc said above...

But if you really want L80, L100 etc fonts... use LDD and create a blank dwg with the Leroy text you want.

Then just insert that dwg into your Civil 3D dwg. The text styles will import.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by aloraw View Post
    But if you really want L80, L100 etc fonts... use LDD and create a blank dwg with the Leroy text you want.

Then just insert that dwg into your Civil 3D dwg. The text styles will import.
    I strongly recommend against that approach.

The problem is the way the old STP files generated whole sets of scales that were only applicable at the current Drawing Scale. For example, if you have a drawing set to 1" = 20', your L100 style will have Text Height set to 2.00 units. If you have a drawing set to 1" = 100', your L100 style will have a Text Height set to 10.00 units.

This is a fundamentally different approach to the one taken in Civil 3D. In Civil 3D, instead of having an L100 Text Style, you would create a Label Style that uses your Simplex Text Style. Then in the Label Style, you would specify that the print size is 0.10" on paper. Then the label auto-sizes itself so that it always prints at the correct size, regardless of the drawing scale.

Annotative Text Styles, Dimension Styles, and Mleader Styles work in a similar fashion. You specify the actual print sizes in the Style, and then the stuff sizes itself automatically so that it prints correctly.

All this means you no longer need to generate whole sets of Styles that are hard-coded to work only at a single scale. Every Style can be used at any scale. It actually works much better than the old LDT STP files.