Thread: Photometric file (.ies) not reading properly in v2011

Login to Give a bone

Angry Photometric file (.ies) not reading properly in v2011

Most of the light fixture families I've built were done in v2009 or v2010. I've never had any trouble getting the photometric files to show up properly when defining the light source using a specific .ies file.

Now in 2011, I start a new fixture, change the light source from the simple form to an ies defined shape, and all I can get it to show is the basic sphere. No matter what I've tried, I can't get a specific shape to show up in the family.

In fact, if I open one of my old families, the .ies profile will show up correctly, right up up to the point that I move it (or rotate, or transform in some way). It then turns into the basic sphere and I can't get it back.

Has anyone else had this problem? Am I missing something? I'd be grateful for any ideas how to solve this weird behavior.

TIA,
    Wes

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Photometric file (.ies) not reading properly in v2011

Seems to be an issue with point light sources, I have found that the correct photometric web shape shows with round luminous openings.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by wblaney View Post
    Most of the light fixture families I've built were done in v2009 or v2010. I've never had any trouble getting the photometric files to show up properly when defining the light source using a specific .ies file.

Now in 2011, I start a new fixture, change the light source from the simple form to an ies defined shape, and all I can get it to show is the basic sphere. No matter what I've tried, I can't get a specific shape to show up in the family.

In fact, if I open one of my old families, the .ies profile will show up correctly, right up up to the point that I move it (or rotate, or transform in some way). It then turns into the basic sphere and I can't get it back.

Has anyone else had this problem? Am I missing something? I'd be grateful for any ideas how to solve this weird behavior.

TIA,
    Wes
    Yes, I found the same thing. Quite strange, a bug report?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

This is a known issue

http://usa.autodesk.com/getdoc/id=TS14981997

Basically if you upgrade your lights from 2009 or 2010 to 2011, you may have to remodel them. Especially if they contain IES files.

Login to Give a bone

I have had a similar problem. My fixtures appear fine until I enter the Material box in the ribbon. Then after I get out and try to edit my fixture (ie tilt angle), the sphere appears. If I then close Revit and reopen, the sphere is still there. I can then change the tilt angle and the photometric reappears.