Thread: Purging Xref Layers

Login to Give a bone

Default Purging Xref Layers

Hello,
    This is the problem. Drawing files are created using a template of layers linestylyes etc.
    Said files are then xreffed into other files. However as said file has not been purged of layers etc not used, they all turn up in the referenced files layer manager, of course.
    So then said file is purged, audited, saved and reloaded. Layer manager still shows all the layers prior to the purge. However if I detach and reattach the reference, bingo it works. Unfortunately detach reattach is a PITA on this project due to the non existent drafting disciplines used. Is there a better way, or do I put up with the ever expanding Layer manager? (I have been away from Acad for some time, using Revit, but something tells me this has been an ongoing issue with Acad).

mark_a

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Purging Xref Layers

Hi

Take a look at the system variable VisRetain -

Layer states

Layers keep having plot turned off

Xreference Layers

"Retain changes to Xref layers..."

+

A search within the Forums will turn-up a lot more information on this subject -

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

Hello Mike,
    Thanks for the reply,

It is not a Visretain issue, (Set to 1)
    Or a Settings /options Retain changes to xref layers is checked.
    It is not a plot sheet issue, as all this is happening (not happening?) within model space files. I heard of a command in autocad that will delete layers regardless of of use or not, it was a Lynn Allen tip, been away to long to remember all this stuff!
    Will keep plugging away.
    Thanks again.

mark_a

Login to Give a bone

Hi

From my understanding of your original message it's definitely a VisRetain issue; the way (I think) you are expecting the Xref(s) to behaviour would require VisRetain = 0.

Express Tools comes with the command LayDel -

PullDownMenu -> Express -> Layers -> Layer Delete

If still no joy could you please post some example drawing files + exact procedure you are currently undertaking + exact results you require.

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

Hello Mike,
    Thanks for the reply.
    The delete layer command is great for layers that you can see. Now the problem is deleting layers that I can't see. For example, if a reference is deleted, rather than detached or placed as a block and then erased (sorry deleted is Revitspeak), anyway you end up with a number of layers that can't be purged or deleted. Normal PITA fix is to block away the entire file and then overwrite the offending file with the new "clean" file. then fix up all the views that are out of whack. However when this doesn't work.....?
    Over to you.
    There must be a better and easier way to manage what is really a basic, simple, logical idea.
    Really, I have been back on Acad for 3 weeks and I spend far more time "housekeeping" than I do productive work. Rant over. Amen

mark_a

Login to Give a bone

Hi

Sorry I really can't see the problem here -

Correct use of VisRetain should meet your requirements....

Deleting or Erasing an Xref file is simply BAD!!! AutoCAD practice, if the Xref file is no longer required use the Xref Detach option to correctly remove it from the drawing file....

If Delete or Erase is used I still can't see the problem, as you can still go to the Xref Manager Dialog Box and Detach the file OR simply Close, Save and Open the drawing file, this will cause the Xref file to automatically Detach. Either way the Xref will be removed from the drawing file correctly so removing all the associated Xref Layers from the drawing file Layer list.

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

Mike,
    The problem is as follows.
    Layers exist in the layer manager. There is no xref related to these layers to detach.
    There is also no block definition for same layers. So I have layers that when isolated, zoom extents nothing is visible. Zoom out further, crossing windows still shows no objects.
    Yet layers cannot be deleted, or purged. Usually can fix by wblock the entire drawing, but not always.
    So we have rogue layers that I can't get rid of.
    That is the problem.
    mark_a

Login to Give a bone

Hi Mark,
    I'm trying to get this...from your original question I'm getting that there is still an xref to which the layers are related, it's just that the layers have been purged from the original xref, but are not purging from the host file. Is that right?
    If that is the case, I believe Mike is right...set VISRETAIN to 0, then reload xref or close/reopen host file. Everything should update to the current status of the original xref (just be cautious about layers you froze, turned off, or changed linetypes/colors...this will update to the current status of the xref file, also).
    The other option, the Express Tool layer delete, should work for you, too. You don't have to see any objects on the layers to use this, you just have to know the names. I believe you can also use wildcards if that's appropriate in this case.
    HTH

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mark_a
    The problem is as follows.
    That is the problem.
    Hi

Can you please post an example drawing file as I'm still not seeing the complete picture here....

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

When I have found layers that are in the layer manager but are not represented in the drawing after doing a purge, is that the layer is represented in a block somewhere. An example would be a door block. The door is a block made out of several blocks with different layer names, and you do not know that until you either burst or explode that block.
    If you do not want to exploded everything in your drawing (which is not good ACAD practice either) if you can find out what the block name is you can redefine it. Remaking the same block but created in layer 0 and inserted in the drawing in the correct layer.
    After you have redefined your blocks then purge your drawing again. It should clean up any unused layer.

Hope this helps.
    Nathan
    Last edited by CADNate; 2004-12-22 at 03:58 PM.