Thread: My computer may be having memory issues... here are the specs

Login to Give a bone

Question My computer may be having memory issues... here are the specs

Hi,
    I think I am having some memory issues with rendering in Revit and am wondering if anyone can give me a quick yay or nay on my computer's specs:

Dell Precision PWS 390; Intel Core2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40 GHz; 2.39 GHz, 2.00 GB of RAM; Windows XP 2002 OS. I’m not sure what my video/graphics card is but I know a new one was installed such that I don't have a warning dialogue box when I open up Revit anymore.

I don't know if this is a 32 bit or 64 bit, but it sounds like 64 bit and 6GB of RAM is a good way to go...

Thanks for any feedback,
    Kerry

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: My computer may be having memory issues... here are the specs

Kerry, more info would probably help.

Why do you think you're having memory issues? (must... resist... joke... )

If it is indeed memory issues, the 2GB is probably the key factor - that's the absolute bare minimum for Revit 2011, and not good for anything but the tiniest of projects. Almost anyone is going to recommend more RAM whether it has anything to do with your particular rendering issue or not.

What's the file size of the project you're trying to render? Does it have a ton of detail, lights, plantings, etc.? Has this been an on-going issue or just on this particular project?

Gauging how much memory you're using is fairly easy to do in XP. Open up the Windows Task Manager, and switch to the Performance tab. There's lot of info on the web about how to look at the WTM. If you want, start a rendering until the "issue" you're having happens - then take a screen-shot of the Windows Task Manger and post it in a reply. Someone might be able to help determine if it appears you're running out of memory.

If you're ready to upgrade regardless (either your existing system or to a new system), and you're looking for advice, that's a separate issue - a little more involved than 64-bit and 6GB of RAM...

edit: after posting, I noticed you had started a separate thread about your rendering issue - would have been helpful if you had mentioned that. The WTM can be helpful, but it's the three readings under "Commit Charge (K)" that you want to look at first. If "Peak" climbs much over 2GB (2,000,000 K), then memory is almost certainly the issue.
    Last edited by iru69; 2010-09-21 at 02:53 AM.