Thread: About thematic maps

Login to Give a bone

Default About thematic maps

Hello everyone!
    I am trying to figure out how to create a thematic map, starting from a TIN surface and ending with a coloured map depicting the slopes of that surface.

At first I realised I couldn't 'colour' directly the surface so i exported the TIN as DEM (in fact as GeoTIFF since *.DEM files don't support the Greek Grid -GGRS87- projection).

then i went on to re-import the DEM as a map layer. From the display manager i am supported to be able to choose the colouring pattern.

now when i see the coloured GeoTIFF overlayed on my TIN surface, it doesn't seem to extend all the way to the boundaries of my surface
    (as seen in the image you should spot 3 surfaces with yellow boundaries among them. I have only imported the DEM GeoTIFF to one of them. you can see that unlike what i wanted the saw-like edges of the DEM do not extend enough to cover the whole surface....).
    What is wrong with it?

Also while i can choose a pattern for my coloouring of the surface, i am not really able to edit the ranges for which its colour is applied, am i? If this is the case, what else can I use to be able create a thematic map in which i can alter the ranges and colours of the legend?

thank you in advance for your help
    thanassis
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: About thematic maps

Civil 3D will color your surface if you would like. It's in the properties of the surface and how you display it. If you don't have access to C3D and continue on the path your on make sure your task pane is on (mapwspace) then highlight your map layer. Click style and the style editor will open up. Click New Theme and another dialog box will open. Select the property that you want you're themes to be based on (I'm thinking you'd go for elevation but who knows) Then if you had a lot you may want to theme the the polygons further. The box in Theme the Polygons section and it will open up another dialog box. I've attached a a doc to give a visual to the words. Hopefully everything works for you I've had issues lately with getting the theme to display properly but it could just be something in my method.

Dano
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Hi there,
    thank you for your reply.
    I am actually using Civil 3D 2010 so I could completely leave the DEM method aside..

But within surface properties i can't figure out how to colourize the TIN surface.

Could you give me a pointer?

Thank you

Login to Give a bone

scratch that,
    i got it
    thank you!

Login to Give a bone

hmmm i'm unable top assign a layer other than '0' to 'slopes', as I can do with points, triangles, contours etc in the surface properties display tab...

Is there any way to assign a different layer to the slopes?

Login to Give a bone

No it's greyed out. I don't know why but it could have to do with the fact that it's more of an object than a piece of linework. Maybe post in the Civil 3D forum for that.
    Dano