Thread: Thematic Styles Not Displaying Properly

Login to Give a bone

Default Thematic Styles Not Displaying Properly

I'm having some trouble with some thematic styling. The data is stored in SDE format. I have been using a combination of ESRI's ArcMap & AutoCAD Civil 3D 2011 to edit the data. I also have AutoCAD Map 2011 installed and have the same issue with both products.
    I'm adding some subdivision polygons to the subdivision layer for the City that I work for. The theme is set to sort by name and works fine for 90% of the data. The problem is with the polygons that I've edited in AutoCAD. Though the task pane shows these polygons to display a specific color, yet they actually show as though they are part of the generic group. In the table these polygons do have names assigned to them. I've reloaded the layer even started new drawings. But these polygons refuse to be part of the theme. When I display by object ID they'll go ahead & be different colors but the labels still do not display properly. If anyone has thoughts that would be great.

Thanks
    Dano

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Thematic Styles Not Displaying Properly

How are you creating the new polygon features? Create new feature from the display manager and drawing them or selecting AutoCAD Polygons. Or are you trying to merge from another format.

Login to Give a bone

Sometimes I'll do a combination of things. I may create the polygon in ArcMap and do a couple of tweaks in C3D (Geospatial environment). The main reason for this is the trace function in ArcMap makes drawing new polygons (from a series of selected polygons) very easy. Otherwise I'd do everything in AutoCAD (I'm not aware of a similar function in AutoCAD. I've tried to copy the parcels to a new geo layer but it wasn't working)

When it is quick to do everything in AutoCAD then yeah I'll make a closed polyline and just click the new feature from geometry

Dano

Login to Give a bone

Use Data connect to connect to the SDE parcel data, then in the MAP 3D display manager right click the sde parcel layer and select Create> parcels (or what ever you name the features) Then you can draw or trace over the civil 3D parcels with your osnaps. Once you finished the trace press Enter, the data table should pop up letting you add the field values.
    If the parcels are not civil 3d objects and vanilla cad entities you can select the New Feature from Geometry from the right click.
    After you edit the data table you will need to check in the features to write them back into the SDE.

If you are tracing the polygons in ArcMap then are you deleting the original ones afterwards? Sounds like you have two features on top of each other.
    The only problem you may have is rights to create to the SDE from MAP 3D.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks John. I have done the osnap thing but it's ultra tedious sometimes as some of the parcels I'm tracing are up against a river which naturally has a lot of curves. ArcMap just draws a line that's an exact copy based off of where I click on the object. The line though is created on the layer I'm working with. Kind of like the AutoCAD command that offsets to the current layer. Technically speaking I do have two polygons on top of each other. One set is the original parcels and the second would be the groups of parcels that I'm making into subdivisions based off of plats that we have here at the City.

Rights aren't an issue. I do have editing rights which is why I can switch back & forth between ArcMap & AutoCAD without issue. (Maybe except for displaying properly. Though the polygons that are created wholely in AutoCAD or ArcMap still don't display properly.)

Thanks for your help I'm not sure if there's a solution to this. My map is just growing as the default color more & more. It just makes orientation take longer but it's really not a end all to my use of the program.
    Dano

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dmo1205 View Post
    Thanks John.
    Dano
    Who is John?

If the parcels are Civil 3D parcels then you can export those to dwg format and just select the Create from Existing Geomerty. No need to trace them and it gives you the option to erase them afterwards so you will not have double polygons in the file.

Login to Give a bone

lol my mistake I must have been talking to one of the guys at work and typed his name in. (Perphaps too much multi-tasking). (though some part of me swears that I've read you're name as John Murphy but maybe it's the lack of sleep)

I GOT IT. Well mostly anyway. So I was messing around with some stuff and found the Feature Editing Options dialog box. In this box is an option to check out features as either AutoCAD objects or Geospatial features. With Geospatial features Selected I don't have the problem anymore. However the ones that I've previously checked out as AutoCAD drawing objects are still goofed up and I don't know how to fix them. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Dano
    Attached Files Attached Files