I posted a question on this a while ago, read through the posts and have been trying out and understading how it works and what are the consequences.

We tend to look at the projects in True North. That's how we receive the survey and it helps reading the site in context with the surroundings, shadow impact, etc. This is valid in hand sketching, CAD, BIM, etc.

I noticed many prefer to start with Project North, and then adjust to TN, but our projects never had a preferred view orientation, so we start working on True North and that's how they stay. The procedure was to import the survey and start drafting.

Recently however, we did have a preferred view on a few projects, and while for us it wouldn't be an issue, other consultants tended to rotate our models to better suit their views. This brought issues when referencing their work back on ours. We're adamant not to change the survey or any received drawing in any way (move, rotate, origin, etc.) to better suit our preferred model orientation, so by ways of X-Refing, we managed to work either in PN or TN, and normalize the communication.

In Revit the model orientation only recently is becoming an issue. We have been managing but with larger teams, it does become a problem, so we recently tried the following procedure:

1. Import the survey in TN;
2. Acquire the linked file coordinates;
3. Rotate True North. I was expecting at this point to see issues on the shadowing, but everything seems fine;
4. Only at this point insert the North symbol. It will point to the TN you want. If you place it before rotating TN, it will rotate when you rotate with it.

When I hit "orientation" to Project North, the model is oriented to the preferred view. Again, I was expecting some issues with shadows, but everything seems ok.

The result when exporting, with model oriented either in PN and TN, and coordinate system to shared, all X-Refing works fine to the survey. With model oriented in PN and coordinate system to internal, everything works fine for the consultants and they can X-REF the survey just fine. X-refing back to RVT appears to be working smoothly too.
Exporting in TN with internal coordinates doesn't seem too work.

Is your procedure any similar? Can you share yours? Am I missing any potential problems ahead?

There are some variables which I don't know yet if they make a difference, but I'll try to look into this with time.

Any views would be appreciated. And accept my appologies if I just hit the obvious.

Thanks,