See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to use a different xref and change path?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How to use a different xref and change path?

Quote Originally Posted by RenderMan View Post
    If this statement is true:

Then the Reference Manager suggestion is your best solution.

Regardless of the filenames being similar, the file path is *unique*. This makes changing the reference path necessary, and not renaming the reference itself.

Hope this helps!
    The Reference Manager will not rename the filename of a referenced file within a drawing. It will only change the folder path.

If the filename must be changed, you either have to do it manually or code a suitable automated solution. Reference Manager will not handle this problem.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Opie View Post
    The Reference Manager will not rename the filename of a referenced file within a drawing. It will only change the folder path.

If the filename must be changed, you either have to do it manually or code a suitable automated solution. Reference Manager will not handle this problem.
    Opie is correct, I am mistaken.

Edit: Ehhehe... I guess that's the difference between my 600 psosts, and Opie's +6,000. lol

I've just tried to remap the current reference to a copy of the original reference... and it did not work. Only the path can be revised.

Interestingly, if you right click the reference and go to properties, you can rename the reference file, but this does not update the container drawings reference (i.e., it still has the old file name).

I am surprised that Autodesk failed to include this capability when the released reference manager. The version I have is 2009, can anyone clarify if a newer version includes this capability?
    Last edited by RenderMan; 2010-10-15 at 02:09 PM.
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

I doubt any new functionality has been introduced. How often have you known Autodesk to return to an ancillary product to add additional features once it was released?
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

I doubt any new functionality has been introduced. How often have you known Autodesk to return to an ancillary product to add additional features once it was released?
    You'll laugh... reference manager is a new functionality (for my office). Only this year did I use reference manager for the first time, when we converted our first 'old' project to our 'new' deployment's directory structure.

We didn't quite have a CAD Nazi, but rather a control freak who deployed our older platform... a lot of functionality that was deemed 'Not the right way to do things' was frowned upon to say the least.

I went from your email in my inbox from yesterday, and also overlooked Robert's post.

Sorry for gumming the works, folks.

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

:: BACK ON TOPIC ::

Other than writing a script, what option(s) does the OP have...?

Computer Specs:

Login to Give a bone

I know the answer to that.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rkmcswain View Post
    I know the answer to that.
    It's such a high number.
    jUSt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12