Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No mentioning of Revit in Autodesk family of solution ?!!

I could stop if I wanted to Richard McCarthy's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

There is a recent autodesk news release about Autodesk VIZ5, and in it, it talks about VIZ5 been the visualisation solution for ADT and AutoCAD 2004 , the solution for all the architect... there is no mention of Revit. That really worries me.. is Autodesk going to let this slide and basically kill Revit like it kills Lightscape? how come Revit is not mention at all? Is it not even a better solution than ADT and AutoCAD combine?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: No mentioning of Revit in Autodesk family of solution ?!!

Man, if you read the latest 'fall' AutoDesk user mag, the free one that they give out online via PDF, you certainly wouldn't think that. It's mostly about Revit! I think it's just that AutoDesk is like one of those big ol' dinosaurs, that had two brains, one in it's head and the other in it's tail....

Login to Give a bone

There was a pretty lengthy disourse on this in the NG over the past couple of weeks ("Mixed Message Rant"). If you have a decent news reader that doesn't prune the posts, you should be able to pick up most of the messages.

Perhaps there is nothing to worry about here, and perhaps you are 100% correct Jeffrey, but it is no less disconcerting to some to realize there are many mixed messages coming from Adesk about the future architectural heir to the throne.

It's just weird, and if the time and money investment wasn't so heavy, and IF there were any other proggies out their that compaired to Revit, I think Adesk's would be singing a diffrent tune, and would have pulled their other brain out of their tale a long time ago, or risk alot of people just migrating to a simpler business model.

However, I must admit that Phil and the gang did lend a pretty good portion of the pdf to Revit in this quarter's "Building Solutions" e-mag.

I could stop if I wanted to MartyC's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I have been noting a lot of presumption that VIZ is to replace Accurender in Revit, however, I cant recall any official statements to that fact (correct me if I am wrong).
    Accurender 4 is going through beta testing at the moment (as discussed in AR3 newsgroups) so wouldnt that timing possibly fit with Revit6 release???....
    Isnt replacing Accurender with VIZ just 'Autodesking' the product, which nobody seems to like the thought of.

Just my 2.2c worth

MartyC

Login to Give a bone

Dennis McNeal - Autodesk Staff - I honestly don't know if Viz will go into Revit. Keep your fingers crossed!
    There probably won't be any official announcement before R6.0, in keeping with company policy.

The fact that Viz-Render is in ADT is a fairly strong indicator that it will eventually get into Revit. The question is when.

I could stop if I wanted to MartyC's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Nah, he's just teasing

M

Login to Give a bone

Even if it makes the cut, it may not be the answer to all prayers.

Aaron Rumple wrote - Viz Render is part of ADT 2004. It includes no modeling tools and is
    basically the rendering engine of Viz 4 - radiosity only, no ray traced
    lights.

Login to Give a bone

Hey Jeffrey,

could you post the link to the 'online' PDF file ? or repost with the file attached? Had a quick browse at Adesk's site but I couldn't find it...

Login to Give a bone

All AUGI, all the time mlgatzke's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I think there is a very simple reason for why Revit wasn't mentioned in the communication regarding VIZ. Autodesk is NOT going to mention Revit in any communication regarding VIZ until the two packages are more compatible. Why would a company list an application in this communication that could raise more questions and complaints than they are ready to confront. By not mentioning it, they've saved themselves explanations and hours of communication time in explaining why Revit doesn't work better with VIZ.

I agree, the removal of Accurender will take time - remember, it has been in Revit since it's beginning. That's alot of calls and code that has to be "surgically" severed, and modified to work with VIZ calls and code. I don't think that the programmers of Revit wrote the code in modules that would allow easy removal of such an integral part of the software.

Don't worry, it will happen. It's just going to take time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast