Thread: Geometry Label to Plant Coordinates

Login to Give a bone

Default Geometry Label to Plant Coordinates

I have a label that I wish to create and can not figure it out. I am not sure if it is possible.

The drawings in question are drawn with assumed point survey of N 5000, E 5000.

After the project was surveyed it was determined that an assumed "plant" cordinate grid be established. The plant grid system is rotated by -17.55 degrees from the WCS. So here is what I have:

N: 1000 in plant grid = N: 3929.589
    E: 1000 in plant grid = E: 5436.469

i am trying to create and expression(s) to be able to label the PC, PI, PT of a curve or anything else that needs a coordinate in Plant grid coordinates instead of world and having to manually re-type the coordinate. Any ideas?

thanks

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Geometry Label to Plant Coordinates

If you aren't already using it, it might be easiest to co-opt the Transformation Tab and use it for this task.

You'll have to select a Coordinate Zone to enable the tab, even though you aren't really using the Coordinate Zone. Then configure the Transformation Tab so that the Northing/Easting are your assumed coordinates, and your Grid Northing/Grid Easting are your Plant coordinates.

Then you could label Plant coordinates simply by using the Grid Northing and Grid Easting, instead of the Northing and Easting.

Login to Give a bone

Sinc,

thank you very much. That solved my issue. So, very simple. I have never messed with the transformation tab. Was afraid I would mess something up. HAHA. I do have one more question though. Can Grid northing/easting be set without adding a cogo point everywhere I need to adjust the coordinates.

thanks

Login to Give a bone

Not sure I follow you...

If you're asking about labeling, most of the label types have Grid Northing and Grid Easting available in the text component editor. You just need to create/edit an appropriate Style.

Login to Give a bone

If I create a Label for Geometry points there is no Grid Northing/Easting in the pull down. the only place I found grid Northing/easting was in Reference text under Cogo Point option. I could have over looked it, not sure. i will check again.

BTW- i am using 2010 64 bit version

So, in order to get the label to work. I have to create a reference text and then create a cogo point to reference. From there I have to turn off the points. Not that hard just time consuming
    Last edited by ghines; 2010-10-20 at 07:26 PM.

Login to Give a bone

You're right... No Grid Northing or Grid Easting in those labels. I don't have 2011 installed on this machine, so I can't check and see if Autodesk added it or not.

I recommend firing a note off to Autodesk about the issue. They really should have Grid Northing and Grid Easting available in ALL of these label styles. And firing off a note to them is important... They generally decide how important things are by how many people complain about them. If nobody complains (or not enough people complain), things don't get fixed.

Login to Give a bone

I checked C3D 2011, and the Alignment Geometry Point labels cannot display Grid Northing or Grid Easting there, either.

They also can't display an Instantaneous Radius, which is odd considering they can display the Instantaneous Direction and Perpendicular Direction.

Login to Give a bone

ok. So, to help you because you helped me. This is what you have to do:

Reference text!!!

Build the label as such:
    first section: (i named it Station value)
    STA. <[Station Value(Uft|FS|P2|RN|Sn|OF|AP|B2|TP|EN|W0|DZY)]>

second section: (reference text: named plant coordinates)
    N. <[Grid Northing(Uft|P3|RN|AP|Sn|OF)]>
    E. <[Grid Easting(Uft|P3|RN|AP|Sn|OF)]>

Then create a new cogo point. I named mine G-COR-P (grid-coordinate point) and assigned it point # 5000 to keep it away from survey points. Then you create a style and add point(s) and turn it off after referencing the point to the label. Remember though you have to transform the stuff from your idea earlier. if you or anyone needs further info I can post my write up did. So, I can remember in 8 months.

thanks,