Thread: Value of 4D Simulation

Login to Give a bone

Exclamation Value of 4D Simulation

So I need to explain to my Executive Vice President what the true value is in using 4D simulation. Does anyone have any suggestions or can direct me to a website that explains it in detail. Yes I understand it is good for visualization and foreseeing possible conflicts within the schedule, but what else?
    Thx

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Value of 4D Simulation

By the sounds of it, you need to focus on whether you need it at all?

If those two points alone merit the use of 4D in your organisation then that is a good thing, otherwise you will have a hard time changing the workflow, training the team.
    I would put together what your current needs are if they can be met.
    Everybody claiming to do 4D basically does little more then a very low quality video of objects being created rather then real Site logistical Analysis.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Hi,

using Navisworks and MSproject, I tried 4D simulation with timeliner.

the main issue for me is that you only have a video as an output. very difficult to analyse, and as a planning expert, I prefer for now read carefully my Gantt diagram.

A future enhancement could be the ability to create snapshots with a selected time interval. like that we could have a chance to analyse the scenario.

At this time, I only use 4D simulation for commercial demo, because it's fast and easy to do with revit's files I use (I like playing with phases in Revit).

To an end, I would just say that before Revit and Navis, I used to make Gantt diag. first and then phase it in 2D views; now it's the contrary: phasing first, then planning.

hope this helps, see you

JB

Login to Give a bone

If you really want a full-on scientific deep dive into the value of 4D, then arguably the leading expert on this is Martin Fischer of Stanford. Google 4D + his name and you'll find a ton of stuff about the benefits of using time with 3D models. Not sure how active the group is any more, but this link might help. http://www.stanford.edu/group/4D/index.shtml

Vico are also good at discussing the benefits of 4D - http://www.vicosoftware.com and there's many other references if you google 4D plus, say, ROI, BIM and Construction to help you build a compelling case. Good luck!

HTH

Login to Give a bone

Great question.

I have to agree with the above poster. Despite the fact that I enjoy doing 4D schedules, it appears for us their analysis value is limited. But their value in communicating your company's approach to a project can be big because it is so visual and it communicates that you know the project logistics thuroughly.

Ben