Thread: Part, Assembly or Weldment ... Yikes!

Login to Give a bone

Default Part, Assembly or Weldment ... Yikes!

I'm fairly new to Inventor Suite 2011 and I'm learning it on my own with the help of a textbook. I realize my approach is not very efficient, but I will get to where I need to be eventually. Prior to Inventor, I've done a lot of 2D drawing using non-Autodesk software, and also some 2D & 3D drawing using AutoCAD.

Right now, my mind is spinning and I'm just looking to be pointed in the right direction.

I want to create an item (calling it an item because I don't want to call it a part, assembly, or weldment) that will consist of different thickness shapes made from plate, plus two different size structural steel rectangular tubes.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I start creating it as a new "Part", I can't bring the structural tube into the drawing as a component (Instead, I have to draw its cross-section, then extrude it). Is there a way to bring in a component (length of rectangular tube) into a "Part" file?

If I start creating it as an "Assembly", I don't think I can save the file as a "Part" (or I haven't figured out how to do it yet). Maybe my logic is wrong for wanting to save the completed item as a "Part", but I think I may want to anyway. Not experienced enough with Inventor to know that yet.

Thanks for your time.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Part, Assembly or Weldment ... Yikes!

What you are looking for is located in the Content Center, and can be accessed through the assembly environment (standard assembly or weldment).

Start with a new assembly, using the template of your choice. Bring in the steel profile you wish using the Content Center: Assemble Tab > Component Panel > Click on the arrow below the "Place" icon and select "Place from Content Center". In the dialog that opens, look in the left pane, "Category View" and locate "Structural Shapes" (If you do not see this pane, mouse over the icons below the menus and click on the one that says "Tree View" in the tooltip. Spend a sufficient amount of time looking through all of the available items in the Content Center. In many cases, the part you require has already been created). The profile you need should be in there, if it is a standard industry structural component. (Bear in mind that some shapes, such as I-Beam ANSI W contain values that do not always match those listed in the AISC Manual for Steel Construction, but most are pretty close, within a few thousands.)

Once you define the specifics for the component (usually shape and length), Inventor will ask you where you wish to save the part (yes, part) and what to name it, if you don't wish to accept the default name. Once you save the part, you can modify it as you would any other standard part. Save the assembly or not as you wish.

You won't find any plate items available. Those would be standard extrusions.

You may wish to partake of some sort of basic training, although the cost can often be prohibitive. Manuals are always good for reference, but many times it is best to be able to take advantage of qualified instruction. Many manuals describe the "How" of a process or procedure, but do not always explain the "Why" which, as an instructor, I have found to be crucial to students obtaining a cogent grasp of the immense capabilities of the software.

All here are happy to help, and most are willing to respond to a PM if you have specific questions.

Stay with it, and you will find Inventor to be a very capable solid modeling engine.

Good Luck!