Thread: Adding a second surface profile to existing Profiles.

Login to Give a bone

Default Adding a second surface profile to existing Profiles.

I am starting a watermain design project. Currently I have a Civil 3D 2011 cad file with profiles already created. The existing profiles show the surface along the alignment. I would like to add a second surface to the existing profiles along another line. That line being the actual centerline of the pipe. How can I do this?
    Will I have to create a new profile, then copy that surface line into the first profile?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Adding a second surface profile to existing Profiles.

When creating a surface profile, look for the "Sample offsets" toggle.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Profiles follow a specific ALIGNMENT and cannot follow 2 alignments (for obvious reasons). If you need a sample of another SURFACE on a specific alignment, you'll need to have that Surface present in the same drawing file (or data referenced) and then added to the profile grid. go to Profile from surface, select your alignment name (which in your case, already has a surface represented on it) and then simply select another surface name to profile. Add it to the profile and remember to set it's profile style before continuing. Click OK and you should see the new SURFACE represented on the alignment's profile, assuming the surface actually crosses the alignment.

Login to Give a bone

You could also create an alignment along the other pipe or path. Create a 2nd profile along that secondary alignment. If you select the profile view of the 2nd alignment and select "Superimposed Profile". You can transfer that profile from one view to another.

I've had some issues with a complete loop design on an interchange, as long as this condition doesn't exist you should be okay.

K

Login to Give a bone

thanks. But how do i edit the profile style/ band style to show three elevations at the same time? eg. existing ground, proposed road elevations and proposed drain elevations on the same profile view?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Add a second band to the profile view and you'll have access to two more profiles. You can use the same band style and stack the bands or overlay two bands in the same location with an alternate style for the second band such that it's information doesn't overlap the locations in the first.