Thread: maximum dwg file size?

Login to Give a bone

Default maximum dwg file size?

Hi,
    Could someone tell me what the *.dwg file size limit is for AutoCAD 2007, and where I might find it referenced?

Also, I understand that 2011 has no upper limit to the dwg file size, but when did the limit cease to exist?

Thanks for you help.

Maurice.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: maximum dwg file size?

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice.148748 View Post
    Hi,
    Could someone tell me what the *.dwg file size limit is for AutoCAD 2007, and where I might find it referenced?

Also, I understand that 2011 has no upper limit to the dwg file size, but when did the limit cease to exist?

Thanks for you help.

Maurice.
    I didn't think there was a maximum file size. If anything it's simply linked to your hardware capabilities. I could be wrong though.

Certifiable AUGI Addict ccowgill's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Hopefully this will give you some sort of an Idea.
    Maintain Compatibility with Large Object Limits Drawings saved to a legacy drawing file format (AutoCAD 2007 or earlier) do not support objects greater than 256MB. With the AutoCAD 2010 drawing file format, these limitations have been removed allowing you to save objects that are greater in size.
    When saving to a legacy drawing file format (AutoCAD 2007 or earlier), the drawing cannot contain large objects; there might be compatibility issues with trying to open the drawing. The LARGEOBJECTSUPPORT system variable controls the large object size limits used and the warning messages displayed when a drawing is saved.
    The following explains how object size limits for drawings is determined:
    • Drawing files cannot exceed an internal size limit of 4GB. This size is based on the total size of all objects in a drawing when uncompressed. Since a drawing file is normally compressed, the final size of a saved drawing file on disk will vary based on the size and number of objects in a drawing.
    • Each individual object in a drawing cannot exceed an uncompressed size limit of 256MB. For example, a mesh object, when saved to a file and compressed, might be 75MB in size while the same object when uncompressed might be 257MB.
    In these situations, the drawing cannot be saved to an AutoCAD 2007 or earlier file format until the issues are resolved. You can resolve the size limits by breaking the drawing or objects up into several drawings or objects.
    NoteWhen working with the 64-bit release of AutoCAD, you can work more efficiently with large objects and drawings. However, the drawing files you create might be too large to open with the 32-bit release of AutoCAD.

My guess is they removed all the stops because the newer technology can handle larger data sets.

Login to Give a bone

Hi,
    Thanks for the quote. I found it in 2010 user guide. I thought I was told there was no upper limit for 2010 dwg files, but this seems to be saying that there is an upper limit of 4GB even for 2010 dwg's. It seems I misunderstood and the limit we were talking about was the max. object size.

Thanks for your help.
    Maurice.