Thread: CMU wall reinforcement and detailing

Login to Give a bone

Question CMU wall reinforcement and detailing

How is everybody detailing CMU wall reinforcing bars? Are folks modeling the bars or simply drawings the bars with detail lines in each section cut through a CMU wall? I have an 8" CMU wall with #4 bars @ 24" at the wall centerline. I can model a #4 bar in the wall and set the maximum spacing to 2'-0". However depending on where I cut another section through that wall, the rebar may not show up in the section. Therefore I end up having to draw a bar in the wall with detail lines.

Edit: The text in italics is incorrect. The modeled bars do show up in any section I cut through the CMU wall with #4 bars modeled at 2'-0" on center.

Also on the subject of CMU walls in section, our office prefers to show the CMU in greater detail than the standard crosshatch fill pattern. We show face shells and mortar joints. Right now we are accomplishing this by using a repeating detail of the CMU Section detail item in every section that cuts through a CMU wall. Anyone else showing CMU walls this way, or have a better way of showing the CMU in greater detail?
    Last edited by mholzer; 2010-11-22 at 05:36 PM. Reason: my mistake

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: CMU wall reinforcement and detailing

I just started playing with the wall reinforcing so we're no settled on a specific solution yet. One thing I have noticed is that the same bar (I created a bar that's 2" in diameter show it shows up better on the plan) that runs through CMU walls and then down into the concrete frost wall displays differently in the two different materials. In the CMU it displays 2" in diameter, in the concrete it's closer to 1/2". Has anyone run accross this or have any idea what could be wrong?

Login to Give a bone

I use 2D detailing for the CMU and all reinforcing (both concrete & CMU0. We also do all of our details & general notes in CAD (plan views, sections & frame elevations in Revit) so modeling reinforcing just for the sections views isn't worth the trouble.

Login to Give a bone

We used to do individual cmu units (face shells, mortar, etc.) but decided that to take advantage of Revit, it would be easier to simply model the walls, and not "redo" our work by then detailing the CMU again. We do however add any specific items with detail components (such as bond beams).

Typically, I have done detail components for wall reinforcing, but on a few bearing wall projects, we have taken the time to model the rebar. I typically model the rebar in a section, then changing the extents (how far it extends in a wall, footing, etc) in a 3D view. This way, I set the location in the wall/footing first, then can modify what all locations along the length of a wall get the rebar.