Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Setting default view template for all FUTURE views?

Login to Give a bone

Default Setting default view template for all FUTURE views?

I must be missing it somewhere, but isn't there a way to set up a particular view type to use a default view template for all future views of that type created?

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Setting default view template for all FUTURE views?

Quote Originally Posted by patricks View Post
    I must be missing it somewhere, but isn't there a way to set up a particular view type to use a default view template for all future views of that type created?
    Yeah, its stupid. Its not in the View Template SETTINGS, where it should be. Right click on a floor plan, and say "Apply View Template." When it brings up the list of VT's, youll see a check box bottom left that says "Apply this to all new views of this type."

So youll need to do it for plans, rcp's, sections, elevations, 3d, etc.

We keep a "Default VT" thats "slightly" different than all of our production ones, but still has overrides for all linked files, certain categories, etc.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by twiceroadsfool View Post
    We keep a "Default VT" thats "slightly" different than all of our production ones, but still has overrides for all linked files, certain categories, etc.
    We use VT's somewhat, but not as much as I would like for us to. It seems like we're always creating and setting up templates on every project, which I'd like to remedy.

I guess you use a "default VT" that applies to ALL views at first, and then you go through and apply your other "production" VT's as work progresses?

Login to Give a bone

Wait, so I did this for our Interior Elevation type, but it looks like it applies the same default template to ALL elevations, regardless of elevation family type. Is that really what's going on??

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by patricks View Post
    Wait, so I did this for our Interior Elevation type, but it looks like it applies the same default template to ALL elevations, regardless of elevation family type. Is that really what's going on??
    Yep. Thats why i have one called "Default Elevation," that doesnt actually apply anything specific for Int's or Ext's, it just shuts off certain things, cleans up Linked Files levels and grids, sets LOD, turns off certain annotations, etc.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

You can, I'm sure you know, select multiple views in the project browser and apply a specific view template later on, once you've set up the appropriate view settings.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by t1.shep View Post
    You can, I'm sure you know, select multiple views in the project browser and apply a specific view template later on, once you've set up the appropriate view settings.
    Yes, but it is nice to have every Plan at least start with a better baseline than "everything by category/by host view."

The Linked File Levels and Grids is a great example. With the exception of our Master Coordination View, i dont EVER want to see EVERYONES levels and grids. So when i make a new plan... Sure, i have to apply a view template to it at some point. But having to go through it right away, just to kill levels and grids, is ridiculous.

So our Default-Plan, Default-Elevation, Default-Section, and Default-RCP View templates have that stuff done already.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by twiceroadsfool View Post
    Yes, but it is nice to have every Plan at least start with a better baseline than "everything by category/by host view."

The Linked File Levels and Grids is a great example. With the exception of our Master Coordination View, i dont EVER want to see EVERYONES levels and grids. So when i make a new plan... Sure, i have to apply a view template to it at some point. But having to go through it right away, just to kill levels and grids, is ridiculous.

So our Default-Plan, Default-Elevation, Default-Section, and Default-RCP View templates have that stuff done already.
    Very true, I was thinking as an addition to your method. Once you have the base view template applied, you could still have the specific view template created and applied later.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by t1.shep View Post
    Very true, I was thinking as an addition to your method. Once you have the base view template applied, you could still have the specific view template created and applied later.
    Yep. Thats exactly what we do. The "Default" VT's dont specify a "View purpose" (which is just a text parameter we use to organize the browser), but they do some general cleanup. Then, when the real VT gets applied, it gets full effect, and moves the view to the right spot in the browser.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post

I guess I'm missing something. I'm setting this up in our template now, and I can't figure out how to turn off linked levels and grids in the templates when there are no links.

Thanks,
    James

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast