See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Referencing details between files

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Referencing details between files

Quote Originally Posted by ksmith940184 View Post
    Why not just insert the detail views into you're main model. That to me is the best scenario
    Folks don't want to have to edit a view multiple times....and while you can reinsert a drafting view, it doesn't replace it, it just adds an extra number. In our case I would have to modify a detail 8 times...
    Michael "MP" Patrick
    "I only drink :coffee: until it's acceptable to drink :beer: or :whiskey: or :wine:"

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Referencing details between files

There's a View Reference tool from Revolution Design that kinda works. I'm not going to say it works, but it is functional if you're trying to create the same section cut in a core and shell model that was drawn in an interior model. I've used Type Based Generic annotation families for it in the past. This allows you to just update the type if the detail number changes.

The other hack work around I've seen if you're doing say a campus of buildings and you're trying to use one master set of drafting views is to create those on a floor plan view set to the desired scale an a "Detail LeveL" that's set to an elevation say 100' below the actual modeled building. Link the master detail model in to your building model. Create that same "Detail Level" at the same elevation and change the view settings to "By Linked View" for that master detail model. Then you can use call-outs to place those details on sheets. If you need to make a change to a detail, you make a change to the master detail file and it updates everywhere the next time it's loaded. I can't take created for the idea. Saw it a BIM After Dark webcast with I think Aaron Maller from Parallax.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12