Thread: Automating Page Setup for Multiple Drawings for PDF conversion

Login to Give a bone

Default Automating Page Setup for Multiple Drawings for PDF conversion

Hello,

I always use Acrobat Pro Extended and Autocad 2008. By installing Adobe Acrobat Pro Extended along side with AutoCAD, you can actually get an additional Menu that lets you convert the .dwg into .pdf. I prefer doing this in this way instead of the Batch Plot command since the .pdf product is content readable and contains the scale, layers, etc. that the original drawing has.

Now, doing the PDF conversion in batch mode requires you to have a default page setup in each of those drawings (either in model space or layout space). What I can't figure out is how am I suppose to set the page setup of multiple drawings (say 90 drawings) automatically? The crude way is to open those drawings one by one and import a pre-set page setup from another ACAD file.

I don't know how to program in LISP of VBA, but i think that it will probably be the best solution for this. Anybody knows how to do this or has already written a code for this in VBA or LISP?

Thanks very much

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Automating Page Setup for Multiple Drawings for PDF conversion

How about looking into a non-programming solution first? Have a look into TrueView using the "convert-in-place" and "replace page set-ups" options.

Login to Give a bone

The best method I've come across for batch producing pdfs:
    1. Use Sheet Set Manager to manage drawing sheets. Make sure at least the first sheet in set has correct page setups.
    2. Use Publish option to publish the sheets. SSM publish dialog allows you to apply the first sheet's page setup to all the sheets being published. Alternatively, you can import a page setup if none exist in the sheets being published.
    3. Batch plot out to EPS file format. SSM will title the files with your SSM sheet names.
    4. Use Acrobat Distiller to batch convert the EPS files (a drag & operation) into PDF files. Steps 3 & 4 give you a rasterized pdf, without layer etc. info. This prevents others from using Illustrator to convert it back into vectors that can be manipulated in Autocad.

Login to Give a bone

On step 2, select all the dwgs, then in the page setup listbox, choose the page setup (import is listed at the bottom) and the setup will be applied to all sheets.
    C:> ED WORKING....

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Jobe View Post
    On step 2, select all the dwgs, then in the page setup listbox, choose the page setup (import is listed at the bottom) and the setup will be applied to all sheets.
    The oldest version I use is 2009, but for that (2009) there's no need to import... if I add several sheets, select them all, and pick the default page setup for my first/top sheet, it is automatically applied to all sheets.
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by RenderMan View Post
    The oldest version I use is 2009, but for that (2009) there's no need to import... if I add several sheets, select them all, and pick the default page setup for my first/top sheet, it is automatically applied to all sheets.
    That's provided the pg setup is currently in at least one of the sheets.
    C:> ED WORKING....