Thread: cut geometry

Login to Give a bone

Default cut geometry

I am adding a 7" access floor to a project. Of course, around the edges of the room the tile will have to be cut to fit. I downloaded a Revit family from Tate, which appears well modeled as specialty equipment. I assumed I could use cut geometry. I start by making an in place void extrusion. Revit asks for family, I click specialty equipment. Then in the in-place component editor, I click cut geometry and Revit wont allow me to pick the floor tiles. If I try to save the in-place void, Revit tells me the void is cutting nothing and will be deleted. I set the void from 0 to 8" and I can see it overlaps the tiles.

What am I doing wrong?

BTW: If cut geometry is the wrong approach to cutting access flooring, what would be a better way?

Attached Images Attached Images

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: cut geometry

Mike,
    you can create a face based void family that will cut the other family. If each panel is a separate element then you'll need to place one void for each cut panel.
    I'd also look at using the original family to create a line based family for easier placement. You could then include a void in there that would allow for a variable edge.
    Any reason you aren't just doing the access flooring as a floor assembly with a surface pattern? With that approach you can simply edit the sketch and align the pattern as required. The only disadvantage I see is not being able to tag or count number of panels.

Login to Give a bone

I had it as a simple floor, 7" above level 1 with a grid pattern, but sections thru the room weren't sexy enough, so I downloaded tile and pedestal families from Tate, and they look great, but it's all taking too much time. I think I'll go back to the simple floor and use the Tate families in details.

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

You can add sexy with line based detail components in section views. A simple pedestal/panel DC arrayed in a line based DC and it's as simple as adding batt insulation. Make the last panel adjustable and it's all good.