Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revit to MAX Plugin???

I could stop if I wanted to Richard McCarthy's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Revit to MAX Plugin???

Our company havn't upgrade to Revit 7.0 yet (will do when I come back from holiday) and I am just wondering... The plugin included with CD is for VIZ 2005 ONLY?! I thought most VIZ plugin are natually compatible with MAX since they both really the same program sans a few function here and there on VIZ's part.
    Is the plugin compatible with MAX ? Has anyone try it??

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit to MAX Plugin???

The plugin will ONLY work with VIZ 2005 (stand alone version)

All AUGI, all the time Arnel Aguel's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

It would probably work with Max 6 because it is pretty much similar to Viz 2005. Same concept with vray plug-in for max 6 which is also the same plug-in for viz 2005. Just make sure that you have the file link extension in max because the viz plug-in included in the revit cd is actually an update to the file link plug-in to read additional infomation coming from revit accurender i.e material information and etc.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Doesn't work with Max 6 either.

Login to Give a bone

Cool Re: Revit to MAX Plugin???

Quote Originally Posted by Richard McCarthy
    Our company havn't upgrade to Revit 7.0 yet (will do when I come back from holiday) and I am just wondering... The plugin included with CD is for VIZ 2005 ONLY?! I thought most VIZ plugin are natually compatible with MAX since they both really the same program sans a few function here and there on VIZ's part.
    Is the plugin compatible with MAX ? Has anyone try it??
    What you have to do currently is bring the DWG into Viz 2005, save as .max, then open it in 3DS MAX. So you'll need both applications. Also, it only gives you a head start with the textures, there will probaly stil be a lot of work ahead.

From "FileLink_for_Revit.pdf":

"There is an important caveat to this. AccuRender materials that reference a bitmap file are translated in Autodesk VIZ without any problems, while AccuRender materials that are considered “procedural” are only translated at the most basic level. Therefore, an AccuRender material that uses a bitmap image in the base texture definition will provide a more accurate translation to Autodesk VIZ.

"Note: There are some limitations on what is translated between Revit/AccuRender materials and Autodesk VIZ materials 30 Chapter 3: Working with Revit Files because there is not a one-to-one correlation between the two material definitions..."

I could stop if I wanted to Richard McCarthy's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Arg, we have 3DS MAX but not VIZ 2005. I doubt our company wants to purchase another copy of "down-grade version of MAX" just to get some nice rendering going. This isn't very cool and I hope they should make it compatible across the all the autodesk products.

PS. Wasn't there a rumour about VIZ 2005 been the last version of VIZ??
    Last edited by Richard McCarthy; 2005-01-02 at 05:56 AM.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Richard McCarthy
    just to get some nice rendering going. This isn't very cool and I hope they should make it compatible across the all the autodesk products.
    I pretty much have "banged this gong" before here on the forum to use your mantra. Have you tried the Accurender portion? Just curious if your office has a "presentation department/ person" who is a Max-a- holic or how you do your presentations?

I too was hoping for a better plug-in link to max (or I have the Viz that comes with ADT 2005 - doesn't work with it either), but in reality, I do okay with just the Accurender, and actually make a LOT more money with Revit/Accurender than ADT and Max. (I do love the Max plugins/lights/materials/ etc...)

I wouldn't worry too much about VIZ disappearing, just perhaps rethink your office's approach to presentations. See if the degree of Max's control is just a really nice thing that you're office has warm and fuzzy feelings over, or if you REALLY need all that control.
    I'll repeat it again- MAX is great, but the Revit/Accurender combo is much more profitable (for me anyway).

Login to Give a bone

Can you post some of your accurender images - most of the images i've seen generated aren't up to the same standard that the max & viz boys produce - yes it may be faster but max/viz can be fast also- and i know have to go and learn 2 new programmes - revit & accurender

Ken

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Ken - go to the gallery and change the date to show all threads. You'll find lots of Accurender/Revit combos there.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Just got this via my subscription email today..

Coming in April! With 3ds max 7.5, exclusively for 3ds max 7 software subscription members, Discreet further empowers 3D artists who want to raise the bar for their work. Whether it is in feature films or state-of-the-art design visualization, 3ds max 7.5 delivers what artists need

Release 7.5 will provide new and enhanced functionality in three key areas:
    • Hair and Fur—Based on Joe Alter's highly regarded "Shave and a Haircut" solution, Hair and Fur will offer numerous styling and dynamics tools for creating amazingly realistic hair and other strand-derivative effects.

mental ray 3.4—Delivering numerous optimizations, mental ray 3.4 will include faster final gathering performance, double precision computation for ray tracing and fast rasterization for first-generation rays.

Autodesk VIZ—With the very latest technologies from Autodesk VIZ, product designers, architects, inventors and others in the design visualization arena will have the advanced modeling, lighting, rendering and animation tools that are exclusive to 3ds max combined with the unique design-oriented functionality of Autodesk VIZ—all in a single package.

That said, the Revit to Viz link should work maybe????

per addtional info at cgarchitect:

Autodesk Revit ® 7 Interoperability —Autodesk Revit users can now create high-quality images of their models with 3ds max7.5 by importing/linking a Revit model via the DWG format, and having their scene objects correspond directly to individual Revit objects
    Last edited by SkiSouth; 2005-02-23 at 06:41 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast